Sophos problem

Reaction score
OK, I know I don't need AV software, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to run a scan then delete the software... So I downloaded and installed the Sophos for Mac free AV software.

I've run a scan twice and each time it hangs up after about 95% complete and freezes up my whole computer. I don't think I've had 2 whole system lockups since I got my 24" imac 10 months ago!

What's UP??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I would just let it scan your User folder, perhaps it will succeed with that.

WE have to have it at work, not that it ever finds anything, but one of my colleagues has disabled it and swears a lot of problems he had went away.

you could always give your computer the occasional scan with ClamX, its slow but gets the job done

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks Louishen,

I did run a scan of just my user account and it completed. There was one generic malware item found that only affects Windows.

I will be deleting this software now! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good work ceejay and keep it off!

This is an excerpt from CNET Reviews on Sophos antivirus for Mac OS X. There are no viruses for OS X:-

Sophos Anti-Virus is another popular tool that has succumbed to its own flaws in an attempt to "protect" users against a malware threat.

A previous version of Sophos' AntiVirus software generated false positives for the "OSX/Inqtana.B worm", invoking users to delete critical application and system files and causing serious issues. Inqtana.B was a variant of OSX/Inqtana.A -- a Java based proof of concept bluetooth worm that affects older versions of Mac OS X 10.4.x (Tiger). The vulnerability did not affect Mac OS X 10.4.5 or Mac OS X 10.4.6, and had not been found in the wild. Despite that, Sophos' software was identifying "infected" files -- sometimes numbering in the thousands -- on Mac OS X 10.4.5 systems.

Sophos quickly resolved the issue, but results of the false positives were, in some cases, disastrous. Users who thought their systems were infected deleted dozens (in some cases hundreds) of critical files rendering some applications useless and eliminating important data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.