Newbie Question

Reaction score
Hello

I am new to mac and had a few simple questions. Is there a safe and prefered site for downloading from? Also, does any have any idea when Mac is going to put the App Store up for the Macbooks? Thank you for your help. Milan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The app store probably wont be up until next year, when 10.7 comes out.

As for downloads, Apple already has a downloads section for all types of Mac software
Apple - Downloads

But if you ask here what sort of software you are after, you will get some pointers as too the best program (at whatever price point you ask) for any particular task

C

chas_m

The app store probably wont be up until next year, when 10.7 comes out.

No, this is incorrect. As noted by Steve when he introduced them -- the Mac App Store will be up "within 90 days" (said at the end of October) and Lion will be out "next summer" (likely August).

One of my favourite sites to check for new and updated Mac software is MacUpdate.com, but there are plenty of others.

Finally, no there are no "preferred" sites -- and "safe" isn't an issue from any legal downloading site, because Macs don't get viruses. It is possible to pick up a "Trojan Horse" malware from pirated software, however, so my recommendation is that you stick to buying legal software, which supports Mac developers we could always use more of.

On top of that, most Mac software is SUPER cheap for the quality I find.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.