Windows Mail (Vista) to Mac Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Good mornin'

I've searched numerous threads looking for assistance on moving Windows Mail (Vista) to Mac Mail. I'm looking to move all emails / folders / contacts and have not been successful.

Many suggestions involve moving Windows Mail -> Thunderbird PC -> Thunderbird Mac -> Mac Mail. I have not been able to accomplish the first step (Windows Mail to Thunderbird PC). There is an add-on for the Thunderbird (http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/ImportExportTools-2.1.0.1.xpi) that comes up numerous times, but it doesn't work. Thunderbird doesn't allow the add-on to install.

Other suggestions have suggested converting Windows Mail files to mbox, but I have been unable to do so.

Any tips?

Tks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The easiest way to move mail may be by using your ISP. For example: When I used Windows, I had OE (Outlook Express - now Windows Mail) setup to access my GMail account. By using iMap and leaving mail on the server (or even using SMTP) it's a simple matter of setting up Mail to access your account and download the mail again.

The only other free way I know is to use Thunderbird to convert. If you don't mind paying for an application, you can try this.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and the idea. I was able to upload some of the messages on my internet providers server to Mac Mail (when I created that email account in MacMail, it automatically downloaded them, but it was a pretty limited amount. )

Mainly, I'm looking to transfer over two things: (1) my contacts and (2) the inbox "subfolders" from my Windows Mail Inbox. I don't think it's possible to use my ISP to transfer over these folders in my inbox, but if there's a way, I'm all ears!

I'm not opposed to shelling out the $50 for that software you linked to, but anyone else have other ideas on how to do this without buying software?

Thanks again

Reaction score
Contacts to another system

The Export tool in Windows is built in, so you can convert the .contact files (which is in XML format) to a CSV file.

1. Open Explorer, browse to C:\Users\username\Contacts
2. Press Ctrl+A to select all the contacts
3. On the menu bar select Export
4. Select 'CSV (Comma Seperated Values)'. The other format is vCard.
5. Click Export
6. Enter path and filename and click Next
7. select what fields to export e.g. First name, Last name, Name, Email Address etc
8. Click Finish

Then copy the csv (or vcard) file to the Mac and import the contacts!

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank pjhutch...I managed to get the addresses moved over.

The issue is still moving over the inbox (including all folders). I went to the Apple store over the weekend and they said the issue is that it's Windows Mail (Vista). They mentioned that previous forms of microsoft email (outlook, outlook express, etc.) are fairly easy to convert, but microsoft messed with Windows Mail and made it tough to convert.

Any other thoughts out there?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.