Help needed with photo's, pretty please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi all,
Just imagine that in front of you is a Mac with a basic install of OS X Leopard with iLife and iWorks but no other 3rd party software.
OK, would somebody please run me through the sequence that lets you copy an image from the web, let's say any image from Google images, and then paste it into whatever prog that you have that will allow you to crop it and resize it.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I just drag the image to the desktop.
I have hot corners set up, so when I drag the image to the right top corner, it exposes the desktop, and then I drop it there! (Control click on image, drag to top right of desktop, and release it on the desktop)
It automatically saves it as a jpeg for you to do what you will with it.

For hot corners set up go to system preferences, desktop & screensaver, screensaver, hot corners, and set it up from there.

It sounds a lot more complex than it is, but it makes for a really easy to navigate and keep track of what and where everything is step by step.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
This is how I have it set up, which really works for me :)

To edit the pic, as far as crop, resize, and more, you can open it with preview, iPhoto, etc :D

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much.
I'll try that and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pleasure....
Hot corners rocks, and the drag and drop method for me, keeps things nice and fluent for me in keeping with OS X drag and drop way of working with things.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mmmm, that didn't work.
I can do the Prefs, Screensaver, Hot corners thing OK but when I drag an image to that corner, nothing happens.
I wonder if that is because this is a G4 Mac Mini and not the Intel version.

Cheers,
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That I'm not sure about.
When you drag to that corner to expose the desktop does it expose it?
If so, are you dragging the image from the corner once there back to the desktop before releasing the image?

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's what I did after setting up Hot Corners.
I opened the Google website and clicked on "Images" then typed "Jaguar"
I then clicked on an image and dragged it up to the top right corner which is set to DESKTOP in Hot Corners.
Nothing happened.
The ghost image of the picture followed my mouse pointer up to the corner but there was no change of what I could see on my screen which was the Google Images website.
I tried to set up a different corner in Hot Corners but that didn't work either.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just saw the link and watched it.
When I do a similar sort of thing the top right of the screen doesn't change to show the desktop.

Let me try a re-boot and see if that helps.
Be right back.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Houston ... We have lift off!!

That dragging to the corner seems to be working now.
That makes life a lot easier now.
Thank you very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pleasure.... glad it's working now, because if it wasn't it would have had me stumped.
Also, my head's so close to the pillow now (I'm in Oz) that I was struggling just to post what I did, and I'd have had to pass the buck to next in line on MF, or get back to it tomorrow :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Once you have the picture on your desktop like 6String showed you how to do, you can do basic actions like crop and resize using just Preview. If you double click on the picture preview will probably open by default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You can also drag the file from the desktop directly onto the iPhoto icon in your dock and it will open up from there.

C

chas_m

Oneironaut beat me to it, but all the folderol with hot corners was just a long-way-round approach. Just drag an image directly from a web browser onto the iPhoto icon in the dock. Done.

Bear in mind, of course, that images on the web are generally VERY LOW RESOLUTION and while they may look nice on your screen, using them for anything other than "other web pages" is likely to produce poor results.

Also, please respect people's copyrights. If it's not yours, ask before using it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
all the folderol with hot corners was just a long-way-round approach. Just drag an image directly from a web browser onto the iPhoto icon in the dock. Done.
Not quite, as that's under the assumption that the OP wants the photo in the iPhoto, or to use iPhoto to edit it!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not quite, as that's under the assumption that the OP wants the photo in the iPhoto, or to use iPhoto to edit it!

Not disagreeing with you at all BTW. You can put Preview in the Dock and drag the pic there! :D Grin Sorry, Steve Balmer made me say it! :D

BTW, I set up a hot corner for your way also as it will come in handy for some things down the road.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL Yes, this is true.... I 'personally' like to leave my dock fairly uncluttered, and it always depends on what I want to edit, and how, as to what app I will use.
I also like things to land on my desktop before I choose where I am going to store them on my HD once I am done with it.
This practice not only keeps my dock and desktop uncluttered, but keeps me on top of things as far as having a very organised Mac.

I have no doubt that there are many methods of doing things, but in all honesty, the OP asked a question and I told him how I go about it!
To see a post come up stating that my method is folderol (nonsense) is just a tad bit arrogant and condescending really, and I don't think it was really called for.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
LOL Yes, this is true.... I 'personally' like to leave my dock fairly uncluttered, and it always depends on what I want to edit, and how, as to what app I will use.
I also like things to land on my desktop before I choose where I am going to store them on my HD once I am done with it.
This practice not only keeps my dock and desktop uncluttered, but keeps me on top of things as far as having a very organised Mac.

I have no doubt that there are many methods of doing things, but in all honesty, the OP asked a question and I told him how I go about it!
To see a post come up stating that my method is folderol (nonsense) is just a tad bit arrogant and condescending really, and I don't think it was really called for.

I work this way as well. Except I create a folder and then dump the working files into it after I'm done.

C

chas_m

I said all the work needed to set up that system was folderol when the OP asked for SIMPLE method. Everybody does what works for them and its perfectly fine to have different methods discussed, but I think it's important particularly for newcomers to the platform to see that what they want to do can be performed very SIMPLY. They'll find a more complicated way on their own if the simple way doesn't (or no longer) meets their needs, but in my view KISS is the way to go unless the person specifically says they've already tried that.

DTravis' alternative was another good, SIMPLE method.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.