Remote Server - is this config possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini G4, 1.33GHz, 512MB RAM, 40GB monitor
Me and some friends would like to start a new school network at our school, using Mac OS X Server 10.6. However, the server would be at home on an iMac, and the PCs at our school would need to connect to the server and be able to get their files.

We'd need access like logons, file servers, etc.
Everything that the normal school server would have, only remote.

Is this configuration possible? If so, how?
Thanks! :D

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
No - that is quite different - if you are talking about a true client server environment then there is a lot more setup. If you just want to log in and grab files, and maybe control the desktop then teamviewer is all you need.

A full login sever configuration will take some port configuration and ssh or a vpn type setup. This takes both setting up your remote network and the school allowing certain ports such as ssh - 22 to go through their firewall.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No - that is quite different - if you are talking about a true client server environment then there is a lot more setup. If you just want to log in and grab files, and maybe control the desktop then teamviewer is all you need.

A full login sever configuration will take some port configuration and ssh or a vpn type setup. This takes both setting up your remote network and the school allowing certain ports such as ssh - 22 to go through their firewall.

That might be more of what I'm looking for, unless the student files could be password protected - we'll try that first, I guess.

Another quick question: does the iPad support printing to a WiFi printer from iWork and/or Safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Try it first. If it doesn't meet your needs look into ssh. I have a writeup on how to secure ssh but it isn't for the faint of heart. It can be a real security risk if it isn't set up properly. Any remote access can be a security risk. Plus for. It to work you need to be able to connect to certain ports. You haven't said if your school firewall allows that.

iPad has some third party apps to print currently. Supposedly 4.2 iOS has printing enabled and is supposed to realease some time this month.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.