MacBook denying my password?!

Reaction score
Hey guys, well basically I am selling my macbook tomorrow and have forgotten my new password I created when I freshly installed the OS. Tried booting the starter disc holding C when restarted but the computer just boots as normal, just wondering why it is not loading the disc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
should be ok, give the disk a clean, and maybe try inserting the disk and setting it as the start up drive in system preferences before the restart.

OP
Fletch-
Reaction score
should be ok, give the disk a clean, and maybe try inserting the disk and setting it as the start up drive in system preferences before the restart.

Just tried that, thanks it worked. I changed my password to 12345 but when the computer restarted I was prompted to sign in with the password. I entered the new password but it says its incorrect?! So now I am stuck at the sign in window...

OP
Fletch-
Reaction score
Basically I am trying to simply sign in to my MacBook with my password which I just had to change to 12345. However when i type this in and press enter it just shakes as though it is incorrect!

C

chas_m

I think the phrase "just had to change" tells part of a story that needs fuller explanation.

But most likely what's happened is that Keychain hasn't been properly updated. Try your old password, if that doesn't work restart the machine and try the new password, then try the old password.

If that doesn't work, boot from the DVD you got with the machine, select the language, then ignore the screen about wanting to install software and PROPERLY reset your admin password using this method from Apple (maybe you did this before, but maybe not). Be sure to scroll down to the part about "resetting the original administrator account password."

OP
Fletch-
Reaction score
I think the phrase "just had to change" tells part of a story that needs fuller explanation.

But most likely what's happened is that Keychain hasn't been properly updated. Try your old password, if that doesn't work restart the machine and try the new password, then try the old password.

If that doesn't work, boot from the DVD you got with the machine, select the language, then ignore the screen about wanting to install software and PROPERLY reset your admin password using this method from Apple (maybe you did this before, but maybe not). Be sure to scroll down to the part about "resetting the original administrator account password."

Well I have had to change it because it was doing the same thing despite it also being 12345 previously. Before it would load the OS, now it just loads the sign in window which I cant get beyond because it keeps saying the password is incorrect.

Have tried booting from disc by holding C but it just loads as normal...

C

chas_m

I'm going to save my comment on the quality of your password for another occasion. :)

If the disc won't load by pressing and holding C at startup, it could be the wrong disc. Try holding the option key instead, it will (after a bit) show you all the bootable volumes on your Mac and let you choose one. The disc SHOULD be one of the options.

OP
Fletch-
Reaction score
Haha I know its not the most cryptic :p, just trying to boot now...

OP
Fletch-
Reaction score
Its asking for my password with a gray screen and padlock symbol

C

chas_m

If what you have on screen looks like this:

4368739975_5be85cb46f.jpg

Then you do indeed have an Open Firmware password on your machine, and it's not asking for your admin password but for your Open Firmware password.

C

chas_m

I don't know which of these two threads you started first, but the other one has more info so let's just close this one down and all move over there to help.

OP
Fletch-
Reaction score
Yes thats the screen its showing, will the firmware password be a default one or?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Fletch-

Please do not cross post or double post. As you can see it causes multiple replies in different areas and just generally clutters the forums. Always post back to and stick to the same thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
12345? That sounds like something an idiot would use on his luggage!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

There are also ways to delete the admin account, and start the system up as if it was never loaded (was looking into this on my son's used mac), but I'm not sure if we're allowed to discuss that on here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
There are also ways to delete the admin account, and start the system up as if it was never loaded (was looking into this on my son's used mac), but I'm not sure if we're allowed to discuss that on here.

That involves starting the computer in single user mode which the OP can't do until he gets rid of the Open Firmware Password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I don't know much about open firmware security, and probably too late anyway, as Fletch was wanting to sell the notebook yesterday, but as a last resort, would replacing the HD solve the issue?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No. Once that machine is locked with a firmware password you can't do anything until it's entered correctly. It won't let you boot with an install DVD, or do anything else. Pretty much useless without the correct firmware password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.