My Experience (For those considering the switch)

Reaction score
I am a PC/Windows user of 12 years now and have just made the switch to a Mac.

The price point of a Mac has always seemed too high for me, I couldn't see the appeal of paying what I considered such a premium for what i perceived as so little.

Oh how my opinion has changed!

I needed a machine for University and the associated commute and was considering getting a netbook or CULV to back up my 18 month old HP HDX16, an apparent high-end multi-media laptop. More like an underpowered, overpriced explosion waiting to happen (it gets hotter than the sun's core.)

After having enjoyed my i-pod touch so much and being impressed by the claimed battery life and portability of the 13 inch macbook pro I took the plunge and sold the HP to fund my purchase.

I could not be happier with my decision!

The magic trackpad is a revelation, it works perfectly. The gestures are fantastic and the response times are unrivalled.

The battery life estimates are spot on, I use my machine all day at Uni, on the train and for entertainment when I get home and I don't get close to running out of power.

The OS is so simple to use and intuitive. It boots in seconds, shuts down in 3 and I have never experienced such quick loading times for applications in my life.

The included mail client is a dream to use, so simple yet so comprehensive. It has everything I need and works perfectly, the same can be said for Safari (unlike the IOS version which in my opinion is abysmal.)

Then there is the design, this thing is beautiful. I showed the machine to my Mother who often comments on my frivolous purchases and her words were "You don't half waste some money on crap but I can't deny that thing looks worth every penny"

I've only had my Macbook Pro for a week now and i'm already a convert. Work is actually a pleasure on a Mac never mind play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13" (early 2015) Mojave
It's not even Springtime and love is in the air:)

We echo your comments exactly, having had ours for 2 happy months.

JR/NR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I agree my story is about the same. Just wanted to give it a try. Glad I did. Still have a lot to learn but I'm not sorry. I look forward to learning all about mac and os x. The story goes on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Only got my Macbook last month but totally agree with OP comments, and with the help here from forum members :D the learning curve is enjoyable.

OP
V
Reaction score
I forgot to mention: I am yet to hear it make a single sound other than the DVD drive spinning when in use and it's never been anything more than pleasantly warm to the touch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPr 13" Mid-2014 i5 256gb SSD 8gb Ram, iPad Mini 2 32gb
I'm glad you are enjoying your new machine. It is definitely a welcome change from a PC. I converted over to Mac about 9 months ago and have never looked back. The only thing I miss Windows for is some of my older games.

Welcome to the forum!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Just a little perspective, I've had my macbook for almost 2 years now and it's still going as strong as the day it was made. Best computer purchase I've made, with the possible exception of my G5 Powermac, which is still going strong after almost 6 years.

I don't even have to miss Windows, I set up the Macbook with an XP partition so I can boot and run all my old programs natively. There's no downside to this deal!

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a macbook in the next couple of weeks - glad to hear your good comments about it.

What I'm worried about is I've been used to a pc since whenever we all started using them.

I can go into the bottom

start
right click
explore

and see everything on my computer.

It's just like - how do I do that on a mac??????

I'm sure it will be easier - I hope so!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'm thinking of buying a macbook in the next couple of weeks - glad to hear your good comments about it.

What I'm worried about is I've been used to a pc since whenever we all started using them.

I can go into the bottom

start
right click
explore

and see everything on my computer.

It's just like - how do I do that on a mac??????

I'm sure it will be easier - I hope so!

Start.... go to finder or dock at the bottom of the screen.
Right click.... control + click or set your trackpad in system preference to right click.
Explore.... finder and spotlight.

You should definitely head into an Apple store or Apple reseller and play around with one, and I think in know time you will see how easy it all is.

Also, check this out.
Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
I'm glad that you are enjoying your MacBook. I switched over about 3 years ago and wished I would have dumped Windows sooner than I did. I started with a Mac Mini on a KVM switch so I could switch back and forth between Mac and PC while I learned the Mac OS. I liked it so much that I sold the Mini and bought a New Early 2009 Model Mini when they were released about 18 months ago. I have also acquired a used MacBook (early 2008 Model) and a 27" iMac. I hate even working with Windows anymore, but I still maintain 4 Windows PCs for my family. My wife and mom still have not made the switch over to the Mac. My kids argue over who is using the Mac Mini which I have set up for them. The came over on their own as they have a Dell XPS that has high-end specs (a couple of years ago). I asked my son why he does not use the Dell and said it is to slow and freezes up on him. The specs are better than the Mini's. So my kids prefer Macs and that did have options to use the Windows. The only reason they use the Dell is for games they have that were purchased a while back or if the Mini is occupied. Sometimes they sneak into my bedroom and use my iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
It says a lot about Apple's laptops when people who have been using Windows PCs for many years switched to them without any further thoughts or consideration to PC after having them for years. My story is the same with the OP. The hardware and OS is just so much more well designed and fluent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13" (early 2015) Mojave
^^Yes indeed!

And we got "one to one", have not once needed to use it ever.

JR/NR

Reaction score
I switched to mac about 3 months ago. I was a long pessimist with the Mac since I have been a PC user for most of my life. But I got myself an iphone and after using it for a couple of weeks, I thought maybe the Mac ain't that bad too. I have had several virus problems with my PC and other laptops so thinking about the Mac's defense against viruses, I thought I think this is the time I should try it. Indeed, the Mac delivered! I have never looked back since then. Proud owner here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.5.8 Black Macbook 2.4 GHz C2D 2 GB RAM 250 GB HD
I
After having enjoyed my i-pod touch so much and being impressed by the claimed battery life and portability of the 13 inch macbook pro I took the plunge and sold the HP to fund my purchase.

The ipod touch was one of the reasons I finally switched too. The thing just worked. It reminded me of the macs I used in grad school and how they rarely gave us any problems. Unlike the PCs which ate 2 thesis while I was there.

Since I switched, so has my wife and my parents. My wife is very happy, since I don't have to fix her computer anymore. Seems I was always trying to get our PCs to run without problems.

Now I want an imac with a 27" screen!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.