Install theme to print photos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 iMac10,1 High Sierra 10.13.6, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 12GB RAM, 500GB Storage
I can't figure out this problem. When I try to print a photo that is in iPhoto I get an error that says I must have at least one theme before I can print a photo. I have no clue how to install a theme or where these themes are located. I don't get the screen that shows the thumbnail of the photo to print as the help tutorial shows just the error message. Help, thanks to all

C

chas_m

No themes necessary in iPhoto.

Could you go over your exact procedure? Maybe you're doing something wrong.

I just select a photo and press command-p, meself.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 iMac10,1 High Sierra 10.13.6, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 12GB RAM, 500GB Storage
"There were no themes located. Until at least one theme has been installed, this feature will be unavailable." That is the error notice I get.

I did just what you said, select a photo and do a Command P and get this error. When I look in Library/Applications Support I don't find iPhoto, but all other applications are there. Could this be a problem? I can find all the themes on my hard drive. In the tutorial video it shows that when you select a photo to print a thumbnail comes up and you can select a theme and print, I never get to that thumbnail, only the error notice I show above. I have been all over the internet looking for this solution and seems that many people are having this problem so I don't think it is just me. My Mac is just over a year old and I could initially print a photo but some update or event caused me to lose that capability. I am wondering if it is because iPhoto in not listed under Applications Support. I would not know how to put in there unless I got some specific instructions. I was always a PC guy until last year and long for those days again. At least with Windows I knew what I was doing and I still haven't gotten smart on Mac so far. But with all the problems I have had I have to learn Mac or else.

C

chas_m

Okay, I've looked into this some, and if we are talking about iPhoto 11, then yes I think something has screwed up. There should definitely be a folder for iPhoto in /Library/Application Support (not to be confused with /Users/[yourname]/Library/Application Support), and it should have a folder within it called Themes.

So, let's start with basic questions:

1. What version of OS X?
2. What version of iPhoto?
3. Was iPhoto working before? If so, what changed?
4. If it wasn't working before, did you install iPhoto or did it come on the machine?
5. Have you tried (after backing up your Pictures folder) reinstalling iPhoto?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
install theme to print photos

So, let's start with basic questions: I don't find iPhoto in the Applications Support. Can that be dragged into to Applications Support or must be uninstalled and re-installed? Other answers to your questions are below.

1. What version of OS X? 10.6.5
2. What version of iPhoto?8.1.2 (424)
3. Was iPhoto working before? If so, what changed? Best I can remember I was able to print photos and I don't know what changed unless it was some auto update of the program by Apple
4. If it wasn't working before, did you install iPhoto or did it come on the machine?Came on the computer
5. Have you tried (after backing up your Pictures folder) reinstalling iPhoto?[/QUOTE] No, I haven't tried that. I am only guessing but probably have iPhoto on my Applications Install DVD but not sure.

Thanks for taking your time to help. I tried GIMP and that program will not print a very good picture. Something seems to degrade the image, even when selecting Maximum dpi.

C

chas_m

Check the Apple Support forums to see if iPhoto 09 (which is what you indicate you have) is having a problem in 10.6.5.

And yes, you have iPhoto on your Applications Install DVD if you get to the point where you have to install.

In the meantime, you might look at Portraits & Prints (now free) as a temporary substitute for printing. All kinds of nice options, or just straight up printing if you prefer.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
install theme to print photos

I downloaded the Portraits and Prints program. It is pretty good for a freebie.
I wanted to print a single 4X6 print but can't do it. BUT, it certainly prints better than iPhoto, at least the iPhoto on my system. I guess that I will have to uninstall iPhoto and reinstall and see if that works. But being a Windows guy for years I am not sure how to uninstall in Mac. Got to do some research. Also, I don't know how to backup all my photos. More research. It seems to me that every time Apple or Microsoft gets a stable program they come along with a new and improved program that has bugs in it. I like to leave well enough alone. My old PC is disconnected from the internet so no updates are downloaded and installed. No problems with my old XP Windows. Thanks for your help chas_m.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After jacking with other print programs which are adequate at best I decided to re-install my iPhoto. Well that took about an hour and then restarted and guess what, NO THEMES, can't print. Why is this error such a mystery with Apple? You would think they would have upgraded and fixed all versions that are having this problem.

C

chas_m

It's a problem on your end as far as I can tell. Nobody else has reported the issue and we would have heard about it here.

The problem is likely still there because you didn't UNinstall iPhoto before re-installing it.

Try this: create a new account on your computer. Log out of your usual account and log into the new account. Add a photo or two (just grab some from the web if needed). See if you can print.

Reaction score
One way to fix it

I had the same problem on iPhoto '09 (version 8.1.1)

I restored the "/Library/Application Support/iPhoto/Themes" folder from a backup and voila! It worked once again.

(Although it seemed like a really big folder for not a lot of theme choices.)

But in a few minutes, I'll need new printer cartridges. Can you send some by TARDIS Express?

Walt Sellers
VirtualOutpost

Reaction score
To users of Mac OSX Mountain Lion (10.8.5) and iPhoto 11 (version 9.4.3)

From the application iPhoto you attempt to print and return the error message:
“No available themes located. Until one theme has been installed this feature will be unavailable”.
I have read the forums and blogs and most are outdated and irrelevant. The most important message is to delete iPhoto 11 and then re-install.

IMPORTANTLY: If you CAN create a book or calendar then your ‘Themes’ are available. Try it.

My experience was that if iPhoto 11 was installed before any printers were installed, the printers are not recognised. The error message :“no available themes located. Until one theme has been installed this feature will be unavailable” is a generic message in response to a print error but not literally correct. Not correct if you CAN create a book or calendar.

WHY?

IGNORE the complex explanations and suggestions to locate and delete library files and receipt folders. This is probably outdated and irrelevant for your Mac version.

DO delete iPhoto from your ‘Applications’ folder and reinstall from the Mac App Store. Don’t begrudge the small fee requested. If you have paid the fee already, the website will give you a free download.

Be sure to backup important iPhoto libraries and make copies of libraries that will be rewritten by iPhoto 11.

The themes, printing options and general iPhoto experience will be satisfying for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.