Networking my Mac with a PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
I run my Mac Mini (OS X 10.6) wirelessly from a bedroom in our house while my wife runs her Windows Vista laptop from the lounge where it is connected by a LAN cable to the router/modem. My computer is connected by a USB cable to a printer but I would like my wife to be able to print from it too. Is that possible and, if so, how? I know nothing about networking so answers please as non-technical as possible. Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Point of clarification: When you say "My computer is connected by a USB cable to a printer", would that be the Mac Mini you're referring to?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
Thanks. I'll work through those possibilities. One other complication. My Mac is connected to a printer which is compatible only with Windows (and we can't afford a new one right now!) so right now I can only print through my Windows virtual machine on Parallels. If the printer is linked to the virtual machine and obviously the virtual machine is active, presumably there will be no problem my wife's PC linking to the printer. Am I right?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
P.S. All the SMB/CIFS stuff in the article completely loses me especially as regards setting up the Windows end. But since I'm not interested in sharing files, maybe Bonjour is easier to set up. Right?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Let's back up a bit - what make and model of printer is it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
P.S. All the SMB/CIFS stuff in the article completely loses me especially as regards setting up the Windows end. But since I'm not interested in sharing files, maybe Bonjour is easier to set up. Right?

Since you're not interested in file sharing, try the Bonjour route. Your HP 1018 is not a wireless model otherwise it would be easier. Make sure you install the Bonjour utility for Windows on her Vista notebook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.