Here's what I find confusing about switching.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi all,
If you haven't come across me before on these forums, let me explain myself a little.
I have been a long time Windows user but I bought myself a used G4 Mac mini about 3 weeks ago. I'm having teething problems but they are mostly down to me not knowing what I am doing with the new (to me) Operating System which is OS X 10.5.8.
For example, I asked on here if there was a Mac equivalent of "Notepad" and I was pointed towards a programme which is pre-installed called Textedit. So I opened it and used it to paste about 35 URLs relating to websites that I constantly use as references. But how do I save it?
There is no File, Edit, View options across the top as there would be in Notepad using Windows so I can't just click on "FILE" >> "Save as" ..... Give the file a name and decide where to keep it. I eventually opened Open Office and copy/pasted it all to a document there and saved it.
But then I went back to the Textedit page and clicked on the "X" to close the programme and got a drop down about wanting to save the file.

It is that kind of thing that I find confusing still.
Like I still move the cursor to the top/right of the screen to close a programme.
I still click on the right hand edge of my Magic mouse with my middle finger when doing a "right click" using the CTRL + Mouse click.

I'll get used to the changes soon ..... Honest I will. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The "File, Edit, View" options that you're referring to are at the very top of the screen, on the menu bar.

In most instances, hitting the red close button at the top left closes the window, not the entire program. To do that, you have to click on File --> Quit or hit Command + Q.

You can enable right clicking via the mouse settings, so you can actually use the right side of your mouse instead of Ctrl clicking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

I bought my first Macbook last month and loving it am sure you will soon to, smooth and a joy to use.:D
There is no File, Edit, View options across the top as there would be in Notepad

You must open Textedit full screen to see the options Kash told you about, if you open it in minimal view you will not see.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hi,

I bought my first Macbook last month and loving it am sure you will soon to, smooth and a joy to use.:D

You must open Textedit full screen to see the options Kash told you about, if you open it in minimal view you will not see.

Sorry, but no. The menu items are there on the left side of the menu bar at the top of the screen for whichever app is in focus including TextEdit.

Even if it's minimized to the dock if it was the last app used.
20101113-g3n8jcj9y1g3quaaftnmphq5u1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Hi,

There is no "full screen" mode on Macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
I had the same problems - but it is just a matter of time. I now switch between OSX and Windows on my iMac without any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

Thank you for the correction need binoculars, I was looking at the small textedit box centre screen :[and not the bar at the top.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
For the most part, if it can be done in Windows, it can be done with a Mac. But, things are not done the same way. You'll get used to it.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is exactly the stuff I'm talking about.
I now have a single finger Right Click which, if you'll pardon the pun, is Magic.
I also see the File, Edit, View options. Like I said before, the problem is me not knowing what I'm doing (or even where I'm supposed to be looking) and not the fault of the Mac

Will I grow to love it?
No, I already love it.
Many thanks for the tips, guys.
5tevie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Hi,

Thank you for the correction need binoculars, I was looking at the small textedit box centre screen :[and not the bar at the top.

Not that there is anything wrong with using Grab to get screenshots but you can push Shift-Command-3 to quickly take a screenshot (the picture will be saved to your desktop). Shift-Command-4 will let you select an area to take a screenshot of and Shift-Command-4, wait until you see the crosshairs and then spacebar will let you take a picture of a specific window. Just a helpful hint.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Well as far as saving and stuff goes, Ctrl + S = Apple + S, Ctrl + O = Apple + O. Some of the keyboard shortcuts are the same from Windows to Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi vansmith,

Yes discovered today the Shift > Command > 3 combination for correct screenshots. But thanks for the hint. :D

Also TattooedMac thanks for the tutorial link.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Read this link too. Very useful. You don't to know them all from my link. But just the few you use over and over. And every shortcut has a alternate method of doing the same thing. usually by going into a menu.

Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers 8th ... Well worth bookmarking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
Not that there is anything wrong with using Grab to get screenshots but you can push Shift-Command-3 to quickly take a screenshot (the picture will be saved to your desktop). Shift-Command-4 will let you select an area to take a screenshot of and Shift-Command-4, wait until you see the crosshairs and then spacebar will let you take a picture of a specific window. Just a helpful hint.

Also - if you take and share a lot of screenshots get Skitch - its a great way to take shots, has basic drawing tools, and lets you post directly online for sharing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.