• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Apple Motion Saves A Life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I have been animating and compositing in After Effects for about five years now and it has always been my favorite piece of software. However, I decided to try out Apple Motion... After I got a feel for how the general program functions worked I figured I'd go ahead and use it on my current piece for the text and image effects... This project of course needed to be done LAST WEEK.

After spending a good several hours working in Motion I watched in horror as Motion crashed in front of me... This is rare in After Effects but it does happen... But the terrible thing was that I hadn't saved... Anything. :eek:neye:

After letting some choice words fly, and wondering how bad it would hurt if I jumped out of my 3rd floor window... I decided to go back to trusty After Effects... But before I started AE I opened Apple Motion back up just out of curiosity... I opened the project and to my surprise it had autosaved itself only a minute or so before it crashed!!! After Effects doesn't do that at all. So there you have it... A project and a life saved by Apple. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33GHz G4 14", 60GB, 768MB RAM, Airport, Bluetooth, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
Oh... my... GOAWDDD!!!

OP
sarahsboy18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iNAP said:
Apple should pay you for that one :rofl

Who's to say they didn't? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
That's strange...I've had AE prompt me on a crash if I want to take a chance to save the project. Also if you hold down ?Shift+option+alt+O(or maybe P) after it reopens it will open the last project. It maybe the later versions... I had 6 and 6.5 :\ (But then again I'm a crazy save monkey....maybe it only asks if you've saved at all ;) )

OP
sarahsboy18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
deus_ex_machina said:
That's strange...I've had AE prompt me on a crash if I want to take a chance to save the project.

I have only had it give me a chance to save one time... Usually when I have had it crash on me it is usually more OS related... Yes... I usually use AE on a PC... Most of my plugins are the PC versions. And although that function you mentioned does bring up your most recent project... It it doesn't autosave. So if you don't push Command+S religiously you are still screwed. I used to be much better about saving regularly... I guess I need to get back into that habit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.