captcha shouldn't include accents

Reaction score
I'm switching to Mac -- my office's alpha guinea pig for Mac desktop support. My Systems guy recommended these forums and MacRumors, and I've found them by and large pretty helpful.

BUT...

I'm having a problem; I didn't see any answer in the forums; so I tried to post about it. My Captcha included the name (I'm going to type this carefully now) Andrés.

Acute accent. I use diacritical marks all the time, but I'm not used to typing them on the Mac. (See paragraph 1.) When I typed Andres, without the accent, the system wouldn't accept it.

I still haven't posted that entry; this issue has pushed it down the stack. And the first captcha I got to post this entry had accents on BOTH words.

COME ON, folks! Captchas with characters that aren't on the keyboard are not going to stop spammers. They just slow down and irritate a lot of us legitimate users. There's NO ADDED VALUE in those characters.

At that, it could've been worse. A friend of mine hit a Captcha with Greek characters. Hey, language is my hobby and my work, but this $%^&* obstacle is worthless. PLEASE get rid of it!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
On a mac to get that accent is simple

Press alt e, then the letter you want (e) so you get é

also:

most of the accents are option vowels - that's the easiest way to remember it

é (press option e then the letter you want, e in this case. option then press a gives you á)

è (press e then option `, top left of keyboard next to 1)

likewaise option ` then i gives you ì)

ü (option u then u)

â (option i then a)

otherwise a simple option a gives you å

option c gives you ç

option o gives you ø

Reaction score
Though I never encountered any accents in CAPTCHA still I completely agree with "thnidu" that CAPTCHA should not contain accents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The other option is to reset the captcha till you get one without any weird special characters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB
I don't think captcha should exist at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
I don't think captcha should exist at all.
I’m sure the majority of the members on the forum, would rather deal with the captcha for their first few posts, than deal with hundreds of bots daily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I’m sure the majority of the members on the forum, would rather deal with the captcha for their first few posts, than deal with hundreds of bots daily.

Bingo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB
capchas are difficult to read and unnecessarily long. I refuse to do most things on the web that require a capcha. If they were used for additional security instead of everywhere, I wouldn't have a problem. As far as I am concerned, capcha is the animated gif of the 2000s - everyone wants one, and few need them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Thanks for the feedback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
I am a admin on another forum with open membership and I know that even with security measures like captchca lots of spammers still get through. I spend a lot of time banning spammers that users never see so agree that anything that can be done to stop them is a benefit to all genuine users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Be happy you get word captchas. I went to a website and got a captcha similar to this. A math captcha.

Math_captcha.jpg

And yeah the one I got was just as complicated. That is horse-**** if you ask me. How does the average person answer something like that?

[edit] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k94PwBrcICE
Watch that video. And you'll see his point. Half the captchas I get I'm just refreshing the captcha 50 times over till i get one I can actually read.
Sure captchas serve a need. But someone so needs to invent a better way of doing this. Cause in my opinion they suck big time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What happens if you type "A number" in the answer box ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
People also hate a lot of things (like taxes) that are ultimately good for society. ;)

Not in Australia. No one here hates paying taxes. We all hate how every day our tax dollars are being wasted though.

Seriously though Captcha is a solution to the problem. A terrible solution that everyone hates. Why not just have your first 25 posts or so require mod verification before they are posted on the board. Cause most spammers usually have less then 25 for a post count, that'd fix that.

The spammers would be banned, the good posts go through and once you hit 25 or so posts you don't need the GM verification anymore and all is happy without the sad captcha tripe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Seriously though Captcha is a solution to the problem. A terrible solution that everyone hates. Why not just have your first 25 posts or so require mod verification before they are posted on the board. Cause most spammers usually have less then 25 for a post count, that'd fix that.

The spammers would be banned, the good posts go through and once you hit 25 or so posts you don't need the GM verification anymore and all is happy without the sad captcha tripe.

Because the all volunteer staff here have better things to do than wade through 100's to 1000's of moderated posts a day. Moderated posts also take away from the conversation as it delays the post from showing up.

Overall that's a far more disruptive and unmanageable solution than the 3 seconds it takes someone to type in a captcha. Especially since you need far less posts to avoid a captcha than 25. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Im still waiting for a answer ???

Math_captcha.jpg

Reaction score
Be happy you get word captchas. I went to a website and got a captcha similar to this. A math captcha.

Math_captcha.jpg

And yeah the one I got was just as complicated. That is horse-**** if you ask me. How does the average person answer something like that?

[edit] YouTube - Captcha SUCKS!
Watch that video. And you'll see his point. Half the captchas I get I'm just refreshing the captcha 50 times over till i get one I can actually read.
Sure captchas serve a need. But someone so needs to invent a better way of doing this. Cause in my opinion they suck big time.

LOL I would end up never passing the captcha at such site unless some cheat code is there :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Im still waiting for a answer ???

Math_captcha.jpg

The answer is 0. It's actually a pretty simple question, but I guess it's imposing enough to throw off the average spammer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
the equation gives the answer lol. Though if you use your calculator on your computer it'll give you your answer too...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.