Troubles with New iMac

Reaction score
I have a new imac and I want to download a cd of pictures from my old PC. Doesn't seem to want to do this operation.

I can't get the imac to open .wmv files that are attached to an email that is coming to me via my Microsoft Outlook email from work. Nor .pps (powerpoint) attachments.

I have Office 2011 for MAC but that doesn't seem to help.

I also need Active X Control to run my Office PC from my MAC, but I was told by the Best Buy Geek, that is not going to happen. Ooops!

Any help would be appreciated:Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Not sure about powerpoint and the pictures. What are the pictures file types?

The wmv is easy. You'll need to install flip4mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
....and Remote Desktop Connection to control your PC from your Mac.
(Don't ask PC people about Macs. Period.)
Powerpoint files are .ppt not .pps. I see powerpoint files go between Macs & PCs every day. Never a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Powerpoint files are .ppt not .pps. I see powerpoint files go between Macs & PCs every day. Never a problem.

.pps is a powerpoint slide show.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
Ah.....all my clients edit & present in .ppt and I've never seen a cross platform issue with them. Don't think I've even seen a .pps.

OP
P
Reaction score
Pps

I can't get the pps files to open. They are slide shows. I was mistaken.

C

chas_m

I have a new imac and I want to download a cd of pictures from my old PC.

Cloud transfer would probably be the easiest solution. Or a $5 USB thumb drive.

I can't get the imac to open .wmv files that are attached to an email that is coming to me via my Microsoft Outlook email from work.

Install Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian (both free). Done.

Nor .pps (powerpoint) attachments.

MS Office should see them, but get the sender to send you .ppt files instead and that should do the trick.

I also need Active X Control to run my Office PC from my MAC,

A Mac is short for "Macintosh." It's not an acronym, thus it should not be capitalised.

To put it another way:
mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Ditto for iPod. :)

Now, as for Active X, no you actually don't. There are loads of programs like LogMeIn or Microsoft's own Remote Desktop Connection that will do this.

But the Best Buy geek was right that Active X doesn't exist on Macs. Not that that's really an issue ... unless you're a real estate agent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.