help transfering files from 7.6.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Hi All

I have a friend who's just purchased a new macbook pro and wishes to transfer her old word 98 files(108MB worth) from her power mac 7200/90 with 7.6.1 installed.

Im trying to help her out here and trying to network them, have googled everywhere.
Im now stuck at the point on the old powermac of opening chooser, selecting apple talk, (i know 10.6. doesnt support this) and where it says select server, your supposed to have a box where you can input the ip address of the new mbp,allegedly bypassing appletalk, this however is not here.

Does anyone know of any other way of transferring the files(have tried to email them, but 3 files 86kb in total took over 1 min) floppy disk is last resort. the hard disk is the old scsi type so cant even take it out and put it in a cradle, would really like to get it on the network and transfer that way if possible
Have also looked into uploading them to the cloud, but it only has internet explore v4.5 for mac installed and just wont load any modern web page
Also there is no usb on this machine so thats out also

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Assuming they're on the same network, you could try turning on FTP sharing on the newer Mac. The older Mac would need an FTP client (try finding an old version of Fetch.)

C

chas_m

On her machine, you'll need FTP software. From there, the files can be transferred to a cloud service like S3 or some such and you can retrieve them easily.

If you could find a USB card that worked with the 7200/90 that's another option, as a $5 thumb drive would do the trick.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Thanks for replies so far.

Problem, have tried fetch v4 which is supposed to be compatible, but when i try and run it i get

" the application program fetch 4 could not be opened because of an error type -192 occured"

Any ideas?

All i did was download it on the new mac, uncompressed it, emailed the program to the old mac, placed the program in the apps folder, and tried to run it, Did i do this wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Keep the program zipped, then email it. On older software some info was kept in resource forks, which are stripped out when emailed.

A thumbdrive would be nice of course, but I am pretty sure there is no USB support in system 7, I think that started to come with system 8.5

If there is no unzip software on the 7200, you may need to download maczip

http://www.macorchard.com/classic/helper/MacZIP.php

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.