Help! First time buyer

Reaction score
Greetings folks, I'm a complete newbie on the scene and any help you guys can throw my way would be hugely appreciated.

I'm studying music technology with hopes to become a music producer. It's all well and good using the macs installed with logic in College, but to really progress I would like my own setup at home. I'm on a tight budget, so I need to spend as little as possible, but basically I need a machine that can handle running a later version of Logic.

I know these threads must pop up a lot but I really need some advice and help.

Thanks

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I think a good place to start is looking at the minimum requirements. Then you can decide from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Are you looking to buy new or used?

Logic doesn't seem to take a lot of resources.

New any current Mac and Refurbished Mac meets the requirement.

Used - Any Intel Mac will work - but if you want 64 bit you'll want a Core 2 Duo.

Do you have a keyboard, mouse and monitor? The cheapest solution is probably a used Mac Mini. If you don't have a keyboard mouse and monitor, then it may be cheaper to get a used laptop.

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy used yeah, I'm aware it could be a total mine field though.
It'd be awesome if anybody could show me a link to a used one on ebay or something to give me an idea.

I have no keyboard or mouse or anything at the moment but picking those up should be no problem.

Thanks very much guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPr 13" Mid-2014 i5 256gb SSD 8gb Ram, iPad Mini 2 32gb
I would check out the refurbished units from Apple first before looking on Ebay. Go to Apple Refurbished Macs.

If you decide to look on Ebay, just search for Macbook or iMac. Please read the details from the seller before making a bid. Make sure that they are including the installation disks with the computer. Also, check to see if they have a return policy.

Good luck with your hunt and welcome to Mac-Forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
One small point to add if I may re getting a keyboard and mouse.
You can get a used USB keyboard and mouse (Windows version) for pennies on eBay but you really need to get a proper Mac keyboard, if only for the special keys that a Windows keyboard doesn't have. Even better is a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. I bought them for my Mac Mini when I made the switch from Windows just a couple of weeks ago. They were 75% of the cost of the computer!?! ... but well worth it for their ease of use.

C

chas_m

If you have a decent-sized screen, go for a refurb'd Intel mini -- that's going to be your best bang for the buck.

If you can afford it and need the screen, kb mouse etc -- look for one of those refurbed 24" Intel iMacs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.