• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Leopard 101: Mac OS X Support Essentials 10.6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Thinking of taking the "Leopard 101: Mac OS X Support Essentials 10.6" or "Snow 101: Support Essentials" course, but here is my question, with OSX Lion coming out next year do you think it would be best to take it or wait for "Lion 101: Mac OS X Support Essentials 10.6"?

Any comments / suggestions will be gratefully received.

- Simon

Reaction score
If you can, find out how long after the release of each operating system the courses debuted.

In the short term, you're better off on Snow Leopard.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thinking of taking the "Leopard 101: Mac OS X Support Essentials 10.6" or "Snow 101: Support Essentials" course, but here is my question, with OSX Lion coming out next year do you think it would be best to take it or wait for "Lion 101: Mac OS X Support Essentials 10.6"?

Any comments / suggestions will be gratefully received.

- Simon

I'm going to answer this question in a blunt and hopefully humorous way (no personal attack meant or intended);)...but if taking this course is important to your professional career...can you afford to be "unknowing" of the many things Mac OS 10.6 related (if you don't know them already)...for the next 6-12 months or more before OS 10.7 "Lion" is released...and then the "Lion 101" course is offered?

When OS 10.7 Lion is released...you could also ask the same question..."Should I take the Lion 101 course...or wait until the Mac OS 10.8 101 course is offered?"

Professional training courses are always a moving target...since things are always changing...so you constantly have to keep taking training courses to stay current.

I guess my questions are:

- Why do you want/need to take this course...Is it for professional or personal reasons?
- Do you feel that there is a lot of things relating to OS 10.6 that you don't already know...and this course would fill in all the gaps. Or do you know 10.6 pretty well...and are concerned that taking the course will just be a waste of money?

Hope this helps...and again...no "meanness" intended, :)

- Nick

OP
Buzzard2010
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Haha no meanness taken Nick, I currently have my own business (only as a side business) and have taken the *cough* MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) *cough* courses.
I want to A/ take the apple course for my business more for a show than anything showing that I have a certification in Apple products and B/ having something to show if I retreat to the employment route.
I was thinking that even if I did take it now and Lion comes out it will still cover most of Lion anyway as Lion is just a build on top of SL. But then I thought if I took it for Lion that it would show to be a more up-to-date course.
Hmmmm many ponderings from me i'm afraid

- Simon

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the details...makes total sense. I'm guessing that these courses are not cheap...and it also sounds like it is REALLY not essential that you take the course.

Just like you said...the 10.7 Lion course would probably build on the 10.6...so there is probably some overlap in the 10.7 course between 10.7 & 10.6...just like if you took the 10.6 course...there would probably be some overlap between 10.5 & 10.6.

If you're really having a tough time deciding whether to take the 10.6 course or not (and you REALLY don't need to take it for anything job related at the moment)...then maybe you can wait for the 10.7 course. But if being able to advertise (from a business perspective) that you've taken the 10.6 course (and it could be helpful for the business vs. your competition)...then maybe taking the 10.6 course would be beneficial.

There are obviously some complexities to your situation:

- personal "side business"
- something to list on your resume
- possibly cost or time to take the course
- etc.

I guess you have to weigh the pros & cons. Something to consider.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
Buzzard2010
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks Nick,

Lots of things to think about of course. Think I might go down the route of waiting for the 10.6 course.

- Simon

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lots of things to think about of course. Think I might go down the route of waiting for the 10.6 course.

Do you mean the 10.7 course?;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
My opinion is if you need to do the course now for your job, take the 10.6 one. But if the funds for this are coming out of your own pocket I would wait for 10.7. Simply cause of the major iOS features being added + the app store and many as yet unannounced features. It seems OSX/iOS integration is Apple's next big thing. And since those courses are really expensive it's best to learn all about that.

OP
Buzzard2010
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.