Graphics card switch on Macbook Pro

Reaction score
So the Macbook pro has two graphics cards, how do I know which one I am using and how do I switch them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
That's the theory. But in practice it doesn't work that smoothly.

The best thing is to download the app I linked and control it that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What type of Mac are you using? On 2009 and earlier MBPs you had to control it from the control panel - then log out. Luckily gfxcardstatus can swap without having to log out.

On the newer 2010 i5 and i7 MBPs it autoswitches depending on need - or as schweb said, that is the theory. Everything I read says that it tends to stay on the discrete card no matter what.

Anyway, I agree with schweb - the best way to control the card is with gfxcardstatus as you know what card is being used. It runs in your menubar and has a letter corresponding to the graphics card being used. (n for discrete Nvidia i for internal intel) and you don't have to log out to swap it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
So is there any reason to switch other than power-savings?

I didn't know until now that you could switch back and forth. I assumed it's always on nvidia.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Power Savings is the main reason. If you aren't doing anything heavy it really doesn't help to run the discrete card. When I use the internal card, turn down the brightness of the screen, turn off keyboard backlight and bluetooth - I get the ~7 hours of run time reported in my battery meter. With the discrete card the most I've ever got it to report is 4 hours of run time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.