Backup Info

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
When I back up to an external drive, the amount of data on the back up disk does not indicate the same amount as data on hard drive I backed up.
Example: Hard drive shows 192 gig on disk.Back up shows 210 gig on drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Are you using Time Machine?

Time machine backs up all your apps, settings and files, but not the OS.

If you have to re-install, you first install the OS, then the set-up assistant will ask you if you have a TM back-up and restore everything else from that.

It works flawlessly, believe me

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
HD info

Thanks for the explanation, I'm not using Time Machine,I use Silver Keeper.

C

chas_m

louishen is not correct. Time Machine does indeed back up the system/OS. It just does not create a *bootable* backup.

To be absolutely clear: Time Machine backs up *EVERYTHING* on your boot drive. Absolutely every single file and folder, including the OS. To do a restore, you do NOT need to reinstall the system first ... you need only boot from the system DVD and then choose the menu option to do a Time Machine restore.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Backup info

If you can't boot from the Time Machine backup, how does one use the backed up data? With Silver Keeper, the data on backup disk is bootable.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you can't boot from the Time Machine backup, how does one use the backed up data? With Silver Keeper, the data on backup disk is bootable.

Did you read chas_m's reply?

To do a restore, you do NOT need to reinstall the system first ... you need only boot from the system DVD and then choose the menu option to do a Time Machine restore.

You boot with your install DVD first and choose the option to do a TM restore. It's very easy - I've done it that way myself.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Backup info

Thanks for all the help,I have made notes and will install Time Machine in the future.For the time being Silver keeper does the job.

C

chas_m

I was just correcting a bit of misinformation. Silver Keeper is fine if you prefer it. A lot of people like Time Machine primarily because it "just works" and they don't have to think about it.

I personally use BOTH a clone program (which clones a bootable backup to one drive) *and* Time Machine (which does its thing to another drive). I like the selective retrieval of TM (in fact it totally saved my bacon the other day when I accidentally overwrote a file!), and I like having a bootable backup for troubleshooting, drive testing and so on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.