Want Max mini running Windows XP to output sound on a TV through a HDMI cable.

Reaction score
Hi, I just got the latest model of Max mini that came with a HDMI port. I have no problem to divert the sound from the computer's speaker to my TV while I am running the Mac OS via the HDMI cable. But due to some applications that only Window XP supports, I installed Boot Camp and set up the Mac Mini to run Windows. Every things works fine except I could not divert the sound from the computer's speakers to the TV. I know that I can use a separate Audio cable to make this work, but I am curious if there is a way that I can configure Window XP so that it uses the TV speaker with the HDMI cable alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
As a standard windows XP does not support this feature, I would google around to find more info, i'm sure someone will have made a little script for this kind of thing.

- Simon

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
XP supports it as long as the video card in the machine supports it and provides the proper drivers for it.

I do not have one of the new Mac Minis, so can't say whether the BootCamp drivers provide for this or not. But if it does, you would head into Control Panel - switch to classic view - select sound - change the output to the HDMI. If that option is not there, then likely it's not a supported function and you'll need to use a separate audio cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.