PDA

View Full Version : Any book people here?

iWhat
11-06-2010, 10:08 PM
What are you reading currently? Do you have any good books to recommend? Are there particular kinds of books you enjoy reading?

Share anything with us!

I've become fascinated with the british monarchy around the time of Henry VIII. So I purchased the book "Royal Affairs (http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Affairs-Extramarital-Adventures-theBritish/dp/B00263J6TU/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289095518&sr=1-1)". Can't wait to read it. I'm also addicted to The Tudors TV series; it's a guilty pleasure of mine. :Smirk:

Village Idiot
11-06-2010, 10:23 PM
George r r martin, Raymond e fiest, and Niel gaiman are three of my favorite authors. Pretty much anything by them is good.

Pick up American Gods by Gaiman if you get a chance.

The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart is a really good one too.

iggibar
11-06-2010, 10:26 PM
The Count of Monte Cristo...my favorite book to read. Other than that, just medical books...I don't waste my time reading fake stories.

Audio.Trench
11-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Lord of the Flies always caught my attention.. Maybe it was because I read it every year through 4 years of high school english..

"Kill the pig! Slit her throat! Spill her blood!" .. Haha..

Not really a hard-read, but I bought Gears of War; Aspho Fields.. If you're as into the story of the game as I am, you'll love this one. It ties up a lot of loose ends in the story and makes everything come together nicely.

IvanLasston
11-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Just started this one (borrowing it from a coworker)
Amazon.com: Understanding Delta-Sigma Data Converters (9780471465850): Richard Schreier, Gabor C. Temes: Books: Reviews, Prices & more (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471465852/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0780310454&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0CPNYV42KKTW950ASSHR)

I went through the kindle store and picked up just about every free book they have.
In the middle of - Heart of Darkness, HP Lovecraft the Ultimate collection and Dracula
Just finished The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (great for Halloween) and The War of the Worlds.

bobtomay
11-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Primarily a Sci-fi/Fantasy reader, but I'll pick up just about any Fiction.

This summer has been a David Weber summer - completing the 12 Honor Harrington books (space fiction), Out of the Dark (alien invasion) and now in the 4th book of the Safehold series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off_Armageddon_Reef).

Just finished Power Down by Ben Coes (a full-out action terrorist thriller).

Along with my current David Weber book, am also reading Hyperion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_(Simmons_novel)) by Dan Simmons - '90 Hugo winner.

Pretty much always have 2 books going at a time.

harryb2448
11-06-2010, 11:00 PM
1. Patricia Cornwell

2. James Patterson

3. John Connolly

4. Michael Connelly

chscag
11-06-2010, 11:28 PM
"The Twelfth IMAM" - fiction by Joel C. Rosenberg (My favorite author.)

cradom
11-07-2010, 01:11 AM
Currently reading Engineman by Eric Brown. Primarily read science fiction.
Favorite authors: Peter F. Hamilton, C. J. Cherryh, William Gibson, Terry Pratchett.

Leukeh
11-07-2010, 02:24 AM
Reading Bram Stoker's Dracula at the moment... Next on the list is A Clockwork Orange.

louishen
11-07-2010, 05:14 AM
I have just read The Girl with Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson - a thriller from a Swedish author - great book

I also read History, science, science fiction and general fiction

I would also recommend any book by Alexander McCall Smith, start with The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency - set in Botswana

Not a book, but I would also recommend The History of Rome - a podcast on iTunes

iggibar
11-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Lord of the Flies...

Haha...reminds me of my high school years. That story sticks for some reason!

1991-C4
11-07-2010, 10:39 AM
2. James Patterson
I am on "Mary Mary" right now. Once I finish the Alex Cross series, I will start on the Women's Murder Club series... unless a new Steve Berry or James Rollins book comes out first!

RavingMac
11-07-2010, 10:52 AM
My taste is also SF.
Currently rereading an oldie, "Lest Darkness Fall" by L. Sprague DeCamp.

Also partial to the David Weber books. My favorite fiction books are probably:

Ivanhoe
LOTR trilogy
Witches of Karres
Pandora's Planet
Robinson Crusoe
Red Storm Rising

Mad_Man
11-07-2010, 11:18 AM
The title of this subject reminded me; somehow I need to find more time to read.

With that said; I am currently into Griftopia, by Matt Taibbi.

Next book on the table; Life, by Keith Richards.

cwa107
11-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Rarely do I get a chance to read for pleasure, but when I do, I really like Harlan Coben (http://www.amazon.com/Harlan-Coben/e/B000APCH7Y/ref=sr_tc_img_2_0?qid=1289144065&sr=8-2-ent) mysteries. Great author, easy fast reads. No filler BS like a lot of authors use when they don't have a lot of story to tell.

IvanLasston
11-07-2010, 12:39 PM
I have just read The Girl with Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson - a thriller from a Swedish author - great book

All my friends are really high on the Millennium Series. The trilogy is probably the next on my list to buy. I've put it off hoping that they put a bundle out on Kindle. I picked up the Sookie Stackhouse series that way. I got all 8 books for $30 on sale in e-book form. Hopefully they do something similar, but right now it is $5.21 for The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo. I may just pull the trigger.

schweb
11-07-2010, 12:47 PM
I've mostly been reading for a novels class in my Masters program. Just finished Nadine Gordimer's Burger's Daugher (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0140055932?ie=UTF8&tag=schweb0c-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0140055932). Tough book to read for sure, but well worth the Nobel Prize it won.

For fun, this summer I read Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/045123281X?ie=UTF8&tag=bryashomeonth-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=045123281X). Very long, but very good book. Horribly Starz miniseries so I'd say skip that. ;)

usagora
11-08-2010, 02:10 PM
I don't waste my time reading fake stories.

There are no fake stories. Every story serves a purpose or else there would be no reason to commit it to a book.

MYmacROX
11-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Love Sci-Fi stuff!
I'm currently reading Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles for the 2nd time. Then I have Fahrenheit 451 (same author) on my night stand to read for the 3rd time.

I also enjoyed The Prince by Machiavelli. (brief non-fiction read you can do in one afternoon)
I've read through a lot of Freud's old lectures just for leisure. Don't agree with everything that coke-head dreamed up, but some of it holds merit (in my opinion).

I recommend Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe and Eyeless in Gaza by Aldous Huxley. Neither are sci-fi, and E.K.A.A.T is non-fiction and a VERY interesting/entertaining read.

Used to read A LOT. Sadly, in the last 7 or 8 yrs I've slowed down drastically due to that darn technology stuff. ;) I don't enjoy reading books on my iPad. Just not the same.

TattooedMac
11-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Im a huge fan of Biographies and Auto-Biographies. ATM i am reading Bob Hawkes book. He is a Ex Prime Minister ..... Apart from that Tom Clancy sci-fi help me along ...

clive12
11-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Currently reading various things but notable books I have recently read are:-

Philip K **** - The Man in the High Castle and Time Out of Joint
Phillip Pullman - The Golden Compass
John Ajvide Lindqvist - Let the Right One In (Much better than the film)
Seth Graham Smith - Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Although I find my Ipad makes me lazy as where I would read a book on the train I now read the paper on my Ipad.

louishen
11-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Phillip Pullman - The Golden Compass

a great trilogy - really original

Village Idiot
11-08-2010, 04:43 PM
I just downloaded some books for iBook and I'm going to give that a try.

I have to reiterate, American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. That's one of the ones I got. I also downloaded the first Enders game and Wheel of Time, since I've heard so much about it.

I'm thinking about getting the Song of Fire and Ice series so I can re-read them since they're making a show on HBO based on the books.

Village Idiot
11-08-2010, 04:45 PM
a great trilogy - really original

Unfortunately the movie was completely nuetered for fear of all the negative publicity the churches would bring against it. If it would have stayed truer to the book rather than being dumbed down, I think it would have found a bigger audience and the sequels would have been made rather than having the entire project die off after the first movie.

The books series was really good though.

Another one I have issue with is Stardust, by Neil Gaiman. The book is amazing, but in the movie they make the sky pirate a cross dressing whining pansy played by Deniro...what a shame...

clive12
11-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Unfortunately the movie was completely nuetered for fear of all the negative publicity the churches would bring against it. If it would have stayed truer to the book rather than being dumbed down, I think it would have found a bigger audience and the sequels would have been made rather than having the entire project die off after the first movie.

The books series was really good though.

Another one I have issue with is Stardust, by Neil Gaiman. The book is amazing, but in the movie they make the sky pirate a cross dressing whining pansy played by Deniro...what a shame...

The first one doesn't really have much religious influence so I don't think the removal made a bad film.

Chris Weitz however is an awful director and was a bad choice.

bobtomay
11-08-2010, 10:32 PM
I thought the movie was good, made it to my buys in B-R... guess I'll have to read the books now.

ZachUSAman
11-09-2010, 12:47 AM
ctrl f and no "dresden" mentioned at all? PINK PIGGIES people.

read the dreseden files, really good scifi series about magic. like harry potter meets dirty harry with a nice dose of smart aleck.

or try anything written by Jodi Picoult. she writes a great drama, but expect to deal with character swapping a lot, and endings that always surprise and deliver.

Village Idiot
11-09-2010, 10:51 AM
ctrl f and no "dresden" mentioned at all? PINK PIGGIES people.

read the dreseden files, really good scifi series about magic. like harry potter meets dirty harry with a nice dose of DANCING BARBIES.

or try anything written by Jodi Picoult. she writes a great drama, but expect to deal with character swapping a lot, and endings that always surprise and deliver.

I'll have to look it up. I watched the first and only series on Netflix a while back and enjoyed it.

I made it to issue 61 of The Walking Dead last night before I forced myself to go to bed at 4:30 so I could wake up at 7:30 for work. It's awesome.

SweetCosmicPope
11-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Been hearing a whole lot of good stuff about the millenium trilogy by Stieg Larsson. Too bad he died before finishing it.

The last several books I read were:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Chronicles of Narnia series(for the third time)
Flow My Tears the Policeman Said
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
Valis
A Scanner Darkly (if you can't tell, I'm a big fan of PKD)
The Once and Future King

That's all I can remember, right now, aside from my school text books (which are highly technical and not at all enjoyable). I love reading, but I don't get as much time as I'd like to. Mostly just, ahem...private time.

DarkestRitual
11-09-2010, 09:56 PM
3 words. Wheel. Of. Time.

LelandJLK
11-10-2010, 02:44 PM
I like all Stuart Woods books. I am currently reading Dirty work (http://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Work-Stuart-Woods/dp/0399149821) by Woods. Pretty good, easy reading that always keeps you wanting to read more and more.....ahh it's troublesome!

World World II in HD on History channel.

John Adams on HBO

Buzzard2010
11-10-2010, 03:27 PM
I'll probably get slaughtered for saying this on here, but at the moment I'm reading my way through anything to do with MCSA and MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator / Engineer) Course books. ARGH

- Simon

louishen
11-10-2010, 03:45 PM
I'll probably get slaughtered for saying this on here, but at the moment I'm reading my way through anything to do with MCSA and MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator / Engineer) Course books. ARGH

- Simon

I don't think that counts as great literature, and certainly wont be made into a film trilogy;D

Buzzard2010
11-10-2010, 03:48 PM
I don't think that counts as great literature, and certainly wont be made into a film trilogy;D

I can vouch for that, next book Mac OS X Support Essentials 10.6.
Maybe not another Blockbuster but keeps me out of mischief :p

- Simon

SweetCosmicPope
11-10-2010, 03:58 PM

- Simon

No worries. Same here!

Buzzard2010
11-10-2010, 04:34 PM
No worries. Same here!

HAHA props, didn't think i'd ever find someone else reading it lmao

- Simon

SweetCosmicPope
11-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Yeah. Learning to be a network admin, and then hopefully progress even further by getting my apple certification afterward.

Beleg Cuthalion
11-10-2010, 04:57 PM
I mostly read history with some fantasy. Right now I'm reading Sir Thomas Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur. Actually hard to put down. As for suggestions, anyone who hasn't read Tolkien's books should most definitely do so. Not just LOTR, but all of them.

John Adams on HBO

Yes, this is quite good.

IvanLasston
11-10-2010, 06:04 PM

Amazing Series - but I am waiting for the final trilogy before I start re-reading it.

Village Idiot
11-12-2010, 05:57 PM
I finished Odd and the Frost Giants by Niel Gaiman. It's less than 100 pages and more of a kids story, but it's by one **** of an author.

bobtomay
12-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Taking a break from Sci-Fi/Fantasy for awhile. Now started the first book in:

the Prey series by John Sandford - Rules of Prey

and

the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child - Killing Floor

Village Idiot
12-08-2010, 10:44 AM

Started reading this. I'm almost 400 pages into book one and I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

I seriously like George R.R. Martin's and Raymond E. Feist's epics and it just doesn't seem to be stacking up right now.

XJ-linux
12-09-2010, 11:49 AM
New Tom Clancy book out today Dead or Alive. It's suppose to be a bit more like his old school works which is a welcome trend for me. Jack Ryan isn't the President anymore, so maybe he can give his Secret Service Agents the slip and get to have a little fun in this one too.