• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie to iDVD Blues

P

Papadelta

My son got married and we took a bunch of DV video with a new Panasonic camera. I was able to play with iMovie and various audio tracks and finally have a neat movie. It looks good in iMovie. Not Oscar, but quite good.

The entire file appears to be 9.5 gigs in size and the entire movie is 43 minutes long. I have tried to follow the instuctions on iDVD and iMovie to export the file in some format that can go into the DVD. After 2 days of failed experiments, I finally dragged a Qtime file into the empty DVD and it gave me a really lousy an jerky movie. I guess we have to compress it, as it is too big to go in a 4.7 gig DVD-R disk. There were many ways to compress, but no explanation of the benefits of each. Obviously I would like the best quality possible, but beyond that I don't know.

One of the big issues seems to be that compressing it to Sorenson 3 for example, made it a 700 minute excercise! WOW. What am I doing wrong?
:dummy:
Does it take a dozen hours to compress a movie? Is there any other solution?
:confused:
I guess I can take it to a lab somewhere, but I was hoping to do this on my Powerbook.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I promissed my son and daughter in law a great movie a few weeks ago and haven't delivered yet.

OP
G

gfk9000

Hi

I think this site will help you with your project: http://www.mac.com/1/learningcenter/ I have made a DVD with iMove and iDVD. I had no idea what I was doing until I found this tutorial. It help me out a lot.

I also have a Panasonic DV cam as well. I shot about 1 hour of video. Once I finished editing the movie (total movie time was 50min after editing) and sent it to iDVD the rendering part took a while. With the menus and the video it took 2 1/2 hours to completion on my powerbook G4 1.67ghz and 1 gig of ram. Rendering just takes a long time.

There is a book that comes with a instuctional DVD on iLife 05. I have it and it is a great book. Check it out http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...v=glance&s=books&n=507846?tag=macforums0e4-20 . Hope this info helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.