• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Moving video files between hard drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4 GHz Intel core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320Gb HD
Hello,
I hope this has not been covered, apologies if it has.
I'm trying to move some video footage (1 hour long segments) from one external hard drive to another but an error message comes up when i try.
The hard drive the footage is on has fire wire 400, the other one only has USB2. Could this be the problem? Does USB not work well with video footage?
I imported the footage from camera into my Mac (Leopard) using Adobe Premier and then transferred it onto the original HD when i finished editing.
Thanks for any help
Regards
Tom

C

chas_m

This problem doesn't sound as though it has anything at all to do with video, and is just a file issue. Hard drives don't care what type of file it is.

How are the two hard drives formatted? My guess is that you're having issues with the USB2 one because it's formatted FAT32 or NTFS, and needs to be formatted for Mac.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have already put some files onto the drive (photos) after i bought it. These files copied over with no problems so i presume the drive was Mac-ready.
Could the video footage itself be the problem?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The error message you're getting would help out here and keep us from making a bunch of guesses.

You've basically told us: I have a red light on the dashboard in my car, what's wrong?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You were right, i just formatted and it's working, thank you very much. Mind you they made formatting a bit more complex than necessary ie GUID etc. Thanks again
Tom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.