2004 Power Mac G5 - still a decent system?

Reaction score
So, I always wanted a G5 when they came out but for some reason could never find £2,000 lying around.

But now I am seeing a lot of used 2004 G5s on sale for between £200-£300, usually with a gig or two of RAM and 160GB HDs.

Now good sirs, to my questions:
  • Are these still decent machines at that price? Is there anything particularly nasty to watch out for? Any bad news? I own a stone-age Performa 5200, so I can take it.

• Is there a noticeable performance disparity between the 1.8 and 2.0 GHz DP models?

• I only really want the machine for general Internet use and basic stuff, not to play some kind of violent FPS online or edit HD Movies. BUT is it possible to significantly beef-up the machines by sticking in a ton of RAM, etc.

Thanks, I'd be very grateful if someone knowledgeable and wise would write a reply. ;P

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But now I am seeing a lot of used 2004 G5s on sale for between £200-£300, usually with a gig or two of RAM and 160GB HDs.

[*] Are these still decent machines at that price? Is there anything particularly nasty to watch out for? Any bad news? I own a stone-age Performa 5200, so I can take it.

Probably not too bad of a price for the UK. In the US they sell for about $250-$300 bucks (£155-£185). Yes...that Performa 5200 is pretty darn old!;) A Powermac G5 will be a GREAT upgrade!:)

[*] Is there a noticeable performance disparity between the 1.8 and 2.0 GHz DP models?

In my opinion no. Not enough to be concerned with.

[*] I only really want the machine for general Internet use and basic stuff, not to play some kind of violent FPS online or edit HD Movies. BUT is it possible to significantly beef-up the machines by sticking in a ton of RAM, etc.

Come on...you're upgrading from a Performa 5200...does it really matter!;) But seriously...it depends on the model Powermac G5 you get. Some have a max of 4gig of ram & some 8gig. But unless the programs you run need a lot of ram...you would only be wasting your money if you went past 2-4 gig.

HTH,

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
One thing to consider is that OS X Leopard is the newest OS you'll be able to run on that. While not so much of an issue right now, it will likely be an issue in the future. Also note that certain applications are Intel-only such as Chrome. I don't want to discourage you if that machine suits your needs and does everything you need it to. Consider this more of a cautionary note.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
It sounds to me like a G5 would suit you fine. The OS isn't terribly limiting, yes there's always the possibility that you find an application that's "Intel Only" but for the most part you should be fine (For the next few years at least). ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
Wouldn't you be better off getting an 'early' Dual Core iMac for the same price?

That way you'll have a faster machine and you can upgrade to Snow Leopard (and Lion), and run Intel Only applications.

C

chas_m

+1 zongamin.

I don't want to sound like I'm anti-G5, but it IS obsolete. While still perfectly useful TODAY, a year from now I suspect anyone owning one will really feel like they are missing out and will be annoyed that ever-more software coming out no longer supports their machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
^^ my thoughts exactly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
+1 zongamin.

I don't want to sound like I'm anti-G5, but it IS obsolete. While still perfectly useful TODAY, a year from now I suspect anyone owning one will really feel like they are missing out and will be annoyed that ever-more software coming out no longer supports their machine.

I agree with this.. I'm currently running a G4 Quicksilver, and while a still usable machine.. There's a lot of apps that I can't use, it's slow, and I'm using it for more than just "basic" computing needs.

I was thinking about selling it and buying a DP G5, but then got thinking about future-proofing.. That being said, I've decided to upgrade to at least SOMETHING that has an Intel chip in it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wanted to remind folks:

- the OP is upgrading from a Performa 5200...this is a 1995-1996 era computer. So a Powermac G5 is a BIG upgrade!:)
- the cost of a dual processor Powermac G5 is still a bit less then an early dual-core iMac. In the US a single or dual cpu PM G5 sells for $150-$300...early Intel iMac's are probably $350-$450..and the used computer cost structure in the UK is a bit different than in the US (usually more expensive).

I do agree that the OP would probably be better off getting some sort of Intel based Mac...I guess it just depends on whether the OP has the budget to get some sort of Intel Mac. And remember a PM G5 is a big upgrade from a Performa 5200.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
£200-£300 sounds like a lot from where I'm sitting (AUD $320-$480), but I don't know what it would cost there for an intel MB or iMac.
I'm guessing that although America has it better than us, we have it better than the UK :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
£200-£300 sounds like a lot from where I'm sitting (AUD $320-$480), but I don't know what it would cost there for an intel MB or iMac.
I'm guessing that although America has it better than us, we have it better than the UK :p

I'm always surprised when I see the prices folks are paying in the UK for used Mac's...but then again...I think that it's pretty difficult to do direct comparisons between different countries economies.

Different countries have different:

- tax systems
- healthcare systems
- housing costs
- food costs
- utility costs
- salary rates
- etc.

For example...if an electrician, plumber, or carpenter has a higher salary in one country than another...and also has higher costs for used computers...then it sort of all evens out.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No arguments there.... I'm well travelled, and all though not for some time, I still recall this being the case.
Even then, every time I hear European prices on here, it always leave me floored. :)

I guess I have to get my passport happening and travel again :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
And do remember, that if you plan on upgrading it to leopard, that you'll have to add about $150-$200 U.S. (sorry, I suck with conversions). Leopard is perfectly fine for what you'll need it for, and likely overkill. If you think you'll want the latest and greatest, as far as OS, later on down the line, you might consider an early intel imac.

P.S., I looked up the performa, and found out something I've been wondering: which model was the lone mac in my high school class. Now, I know!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm always surprised when I see the prices folks are paying in the UK for used Mac's...but then again...I think that it's pretty difficult to do direct comparisons between different countries economies.
I've heard that there is a price premium for Apple products in the UK so I did a quick look.

Base 21.5" iMac - $1300 here, $1631 if I buy from the UK
MacBook - $1049 here, $1384 if I buy from the UK
32GB iPod Touch - $319 here, $406 if I buy from the UK

Conclusion: I hope you make more money that I do!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've heard that there is a price premium for Apple products in the UK so I did a quick look.

Base 21.5" iMac - $1300 here, $1631 if I buy from the UK
MacBook - $1049 here, $1384 if I buy from the UK
32GB iPod Touch - $319 here, $406 if I buy from the UK

I'm assuming those are new prices. It seems to me that used Mac's hold their value longer (less depreciation) in the UK as well...based on some of the used prices I've seen UK members post for used Mac's they see or purchase.

For example the OP mentioned Powermac G5's were between £200-£300 ($325-$488 US) in the UK...the same Powermac G5 in the US is in the £155-£185 range ($250-$300 US dollars).

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those are indeed new prices.

I have to say that it's ridiculous that the prices are considerably higher. I understand there being differences in prices but that's just terrible.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to say that it's ridiculous that the prices are considerably higher. I understand there being differences in prices but that's just terrible.

I'm not 100% sure either why the prices are higher maybe it's:

- supply & demand
- VAT (value added tax)
- other import fees

Maybe new Apple computers in the UK would sell closer to the same prices in the US...depending on added fees/taxes.

- Nick

p.s. I just checked the UK Apple Store...and the price says "Includes VAT". Which I would figure increases the cost above & beyond Apple's list prices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you go with the G5 DP suggest you consider it a 'stepping stone' as within a couple of years you will be looking for an upgrade again to run Snow Leopard, Lion and later operating systems. Your decision must be should you buy the G5 now, and it will be a tremendous boost over the Perfroma, or wait until you are in a position to purchase a Mac Pro.

Do not forget you will also need to spend about a hundred quid or so on a display as well as say fifty or so for Leopard.

C

chas_m

p.s. I just checked the UK Apple Store...and the price says "Includes VAT". Which I would figure increases the cost above & beyond Apple's list prices.

So deduct (I think) 17% off the "includes VAT" price and you'd have a figure you can compare to the advertised US price, which never includes tax.

Also, while not wanting to get into a whole economics thing here, my experience in the UK was that salaries ARE higher, but (particularly if you live in London) so is the cost of living. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.