• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

next best thing in hd

Reaction score
who has the next best picture after bluray? itunes hd, amazon hd, sony hd offerings via ps3/psp, cable hd or something i cant think of...

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Sky HD in the UK. The picture quality is outstanding, easily the equal of Blu Ray on ovies, and live sport is stunning.
They must have some incredible software.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Next best??? - that'd take a lot of time spent researching and side by side comparing with identical equipment - by comparing, I mean staring at screens, back and forth, looking at different areas to find any differences and variations between pictures.

I use (have used) iTunes, Amazon unbox, Hulu, Netflix, ABC, DirecTV, DishNetwork, OTA, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray and others. Even the iTunes HD at only 720p looks very good on my 58-65" 1080p sets at my normal viewing range of about 12' or so away.

When I'm looking to purchase, it boils down to a matter of price. I've found full seasons of TV shows on iTunes (on rare occasion admittedly) that I wanted at $10-$20 less than the B-R.

It really seems to me, that unless you are super picky or you're sitting there staring at the screen looking for something instead of enjoying the show, everyone has pretty much got their HD content looking good enough for most of us.

Those shots that pop and make you sit up and go "wow" (quickie examples, the cut scenes of Lost or CSI Miami), still make you go "wow" from those that are delivering their content in 720p.

OP
C
Reaction score
when you have the best display, dont you want everything else to be the best it can be as well? why have a great display if you arent pushing out the highest quality image and audio you can?

i have heard netflix will start streaming in 1080p but as of yet dont have lossless audio.
its not that im picky, i can tolerate less than best, but i like to have it when i can. the digital restored version of full metal jacket really looks good for example. its nearly as clean as the bluray version but it doesnt have the audio. also i dont believe bluray have a resolution cap. correct me if im wrong but if your hardware can display it then the bluray will fit it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Blu-Ray would have the best picture and sound that is currently available to the consumer as a source.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For those movies and shows where you want the best - for now, only Blu-Ray will do. (I think that the Vudu service might come close with their 1080p HDX and Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. I just have not brought myself to be able to buy into their service yet, so I've not seen it myself.)

For movies that either already are on my favorites list, or I believe will make it to that list, I only buy B-R at this time. I'm not aware of another source where you'll get Dolby True HD or DTS HD audio. Examples: Animated movies for me - only Blu-Ray; Avatar - only Blu-Ray; the list goes on. There are some that I want on B-R for the video, some for the audio and some for both. Other movies and shows are not nearly as critical to me. Example: Two and1/2 men - sorry, but I don't have to have that in glorious 1080p; there are a lot that fall into this category for me incl'g practically all TV shows.

I am also, not made of money. Sacrifices must be made. I am suggesting, that a great many of the services today with HD are more than just satisfactory for those with cost consciousness in mind and still get a great picture and entertainment value.

OP
C
Reaction score
yes i agree its not wise or necessary to buy or watch everything in hd.

the thing is, and whats really my question, when you can purchase something from all the sources, which source beats the others? obviously bluray is king right now, but i wont have access to bluray. of the others out there, who is next in line for the throne?

im from the usa east coast, ive not heard of vudu. ive been looking for a new monitor and the apple cinema display is one i have been trying to get. i can get one for 950 final cost new. problem is, i cant see using it beyond with my mbp. i cant hook a bluray player to it cause its not compliant and most bluray players arent made for the resolution of it. theres not much i can do with it besides using it as a monitor.

i like it tho and right now i can get one for cheaper than i can get a dell im looking at. it has a max 2560x1440 but supports other resolutions and has a healthy amount of other connections. i can get the dell for 1000 before tax.

either way, ill be paying the price of another computer for a display. i need one more reason to justify getting this apple one otherwise i have to go with the smarter choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Vudu HDX is pretty amazing honestly, so far probably the best streaming quality I've seen from anyone.

Although I've also used iTunes HD, Amazon, Hulu Plus HD, and Netflix HD and all of them have been great too.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

the thing is, and whats really my question, when you can purchase something from all the sources, which source beats the others? ...

For streaming, aside from VUDU HDX (which it looks like schweb has affirmed my suspicion), they are all close enough that price is the only real concern between them - quality is not. That's why I use them all.

I do prefer iTunes over Amazon Unbox for purchases, primarily for ease of use with iDevices and for the fact iTunes allows 5 authorized machines and Unbox allows only 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I think Netflix is also upping their HD quality from 720p to 1080i starting with the XBox, but it will expand to all platforms over the next year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.