• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Sophos releases free version for Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Sophos releases free Mac anti-virus package

Security company Sophos has today released a free Home Edition of its Mac virus scanner suite. This is a timely move by Sophos to get an early foothold in what could become a significant market for aftermarket OS X security tools. While it's true that Macs have, until now, enjoyed a relatively blissful life free of viruses and other malware, increasing market share means we can sadly expect to see more bad guys target us from now on. There are more examples of recent Mac security problems on the Sophos company blog, and while (of course) they are motivated to scare you into using their product, they aren't making it up either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple iMac MB950LL/A 21.5-Inch Desktop
Being a relatively new mac user...is this really a growing concern?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Have a read of this which is still relevant as there are no Mac OS X viruses

And I'll stand my point that saying that, while literally true, misrepresents the true nature of threats to Mac OS X.

Most consumers use virus as a generic term for malware and there has been malware for OS X.

That's like someone in my house asking for kleenex and I tell them I don't have any because I actually have Target-brand facial tissue when I know what they mean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Thanks, but no thanks. I'll pass, just as I have for the past 19 months of no such programs. I'll use my brain and fine judgment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
I'll use my brain and fine judgment.
Definitely the best anti-virus.

Sophos is what the campus here uses and it's meh. I used to use Avira on my PC and I liked it a lot more. But now I don't need any which is awesome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.