'closing' firefox and maintaning page

Reaction score
So the first few days that I had my Mac, when I would close close firefox with the red X, it would go to the doc and when I would open it again it would maintain the same page. I already had it set to minimize to doc, but I wasn't minimizing, I was closing it.

Then today, it started going back to the home page every time. I have it set to go to previous page and tabs when firefox opens, but it's not working out.

Anyone know what went wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Judging by your confusion you are a switcher.

Closing via the red dot does not quit the program and minimising stores it on the Dock. When you again open it of course it is at the same page. After you quit Firefox and then use again it will always go to the home page specified in the Preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
OP
Q
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Judging by your confusion you are a switcher.

Closing via the red dot does not quit the program and minimising stores it on the Dock. When you again open it of course it is at the same page. After you quit Firefox and then use again it will always go to the home page specified in the Preferences.

Luckily, I have figured that much out so far. (luckily) However, I was referring to clicking the red X as 'closing' rather than minimizing it to the right side of the doc.

I was neither minimizing it to the right side nor quitting the program, but simply clicking the red X and then clicking the firefox icon in the doc. This would bring up the same page I was on. Now, however, doing the same actions brings up the home page rather than the previously viewed page. I hope that clears it up a little.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Clicking the red X button does not minimize the window, it closes the window but does NOT quit the program. What you might be doing is clicking slightly off the red button and hitting the window title bar instead, which would minimize the window to the dock. The buttons are often a little too small for some people so you might need to be a little more precise in your clicking. That's all I can think of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
My guess is he was probably hitting the yellow button (or middle button with whatever theme your OS has) and "minimizing" aka hiding the window. Could just hide the whole application with command +H

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I was neither minimizing it to the right side nor quitting the program, but simply clicking the red X and then clicking the firefox icon in the doc. This would bring up the same page I was on. Now, however, doing the same actions brings up the home page rather than the previously viewed page. I hope that clears it up a little.

Ok, here's what's supposed to happen:
Clicking the red button closes that window.
What happens when you click on the Firefox icon in the Dock depends on what you have it set to do. The options are:
1) Show my home page
2) Show a blank page
3) Show my windows and tabs from last time

If you only had one page, no tabs, and it was set to the third option, you'd get the same page you had previously. Now, it's set to the first option, and it's doing exactly what it's told. Am I right?

Go to the Firefox Menu > Preferences > General and check it out.

Either you don't remember changing that, didn't understand the consequences of that change, someone else changed it, or you changed it when you first installed Firefox, then you had a problem and had to replace the plist file, which sets it back to what it was originally.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.