Network Question

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new and loving my MAC and have a basic network question. I also bought the 1TB time capsule, but find the 3 X LAN ports not quite enough to run my network to all of my rooms. Is it possible to install a switch after the router? I was thinking about running a cable from one of the three LAN ports on the Timecapsule to the switch. I was also wondering if there is a switch that you guys recommend.

Thanks for the help,
Naicidrac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
That should work.
We have good luck with netgear switches at work.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if Apple had something. I like netgear as well.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That will for sure work. I do it here as with my network, even the 4 ports on a typical router are not enough. I have used Dlink, Linksys and Netgear switches here and all have worked. At present 90% of my network is Gigabit and I use my Gigabit router and one port plugged into a Netgear Gigabit switch and also into a Dlink Gigabit switch. Works great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.