Macbook white - giving me electric shocks!

Reaction score
I just received a replacement new Macbook 13" white unibody- and it's not a refurbished- it's new. My fingers feel very odd on the machine. first I noticed that my index finger of my right hand was feeling tingly. Then I noticed that my thumb on my other hand was too- both of these are on the trackpad.

I have it plugged into the 3 prong outlet. I looked this up on Google and there are literally pages of "Macbook shock" "Macbook tingle" "Macbook numb" complaints. I am concerned. I don't know what this is or if it's electric or a weird vibration. It feels to me that sort of uncomfortable feeling that happens if you touch a broken plugged in lightbulb. A minor shock- but very annoying.

I tried it while unplugged and I feel it the same way.

Are all Macbooks like this or did I get a second dud? (the first one had a bad airport card)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to M-F Lizzy :)

Are all Macbooks like this or did I get a second dud? (the first one had a bad airport card)

No all MB's are not like this. If you can i would be taking it into the Geniuses and get them to run some tests on it. Electricity is something not to mess with.
Be better to be done sooner or later .....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

You shouldn't be getting shocked while your machine is unplugged. The power supply in a MacBook does not retain a capacitive charge that discharges thru the machine once it's removed from AC power. And the battery does not have enough EMF to discharge thru you.

Are you sure the feeling is an electric shock? Now that cooler and dryer weather is upon us, it may be static buildup that you're feeling but even that is doubtful since your MacBook has a plastic case.

OP
L
Reaction score
Nope, I feel it plugged in or not

I took my machine into the Apple store, thank you for suggesting that. The oddest thing I noticed is that I felt this on a number of machines- including the glass/metal mouse on the desktop model.

I typed into google macbook tingling, macbook thumb numb and there are a ton, I mean, more than 10 pages- of incidents about it.

Some think it's a grounding issue in the computer- the way Mac sets it up.

I wonder if I am electromagnetically charged or something- seriously- I've never experienced this before and I definitely feel weird. Tingling in the fingers, static electric -like energy if I rest my fingers on the key board. I instinctively am drawn to removing my hands and rubbing them every few times I use the track pad.

Very very very strange. Particularly since I have been a PC laptop user for 10 years and I've never experienced this phenomena.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
So what was the final outcome then ?? Did they run tests and find anything ??
As with being electromagnetically you could well be ..... Thanks for posting back :)

Cheers

C

chas_m

When working with a metal computer, it's probably best to stop shuffling your feet on the carpet. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
She doesn't own a metal computer. It's a white MacBook - plastic case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
wow... im shocked to hear this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I took my machine into the Apple store, thank you for suggesting that. The oddest thing I noticed is that I felt this on a number of machines- including the glass/metal mouse on the desktop model.

I typed into google macbook tingling, macbook thumb numb and there are a ton, I mean, more than 10 pages- of incidents about it.

Some think it's a grounding issue in the computer- the way Mac sets it up.

I wonder if I am electromagnetically charged or something- seriously- I've never experienced this before and I definitely feel weird. Tingling in the fingers, static electric -like energy if I rest my fingers on the key board. I instinctively am drawn to removing my hands and rubbing them every few times I use the track pad.

Very very very strange. Particularly since I have been a PC laptop user for 10 years and I've never experienced this phenomena.

My guess is you and the other pages of "macbook shock" people have an extremely high sensitivity to either the vibrations caused by the spin of the hard drive or the sensor that your finger is giving a light EM discharge to (that's how it picks up your presence but not inanimate objects).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
wow... im shocked to hear this.

I see what you did there -_-

This is interesting. I would like to know that the Genius had do say about it as well.

Reaction score
I wouldn't say I am getting shocked with my MBA 2011, however when it is plugged in charging and being used the silver unibody on either side of the track pad feels tingly and like it is vibrating quickly but gently. When I unplugged the power cord it seemed to be gone. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Just kicking around this issue in my head because Gadgetgirl, Lizzy and MacLicious have all reported similar issues. I may be being presumptuous here but do any of you use nail polish/varnish..as the main constituent is acetate based which is an excellent conductor of electricity?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Just kicking around this issue in my head because Gadgetgirl, Lizzy and MacLicious have all reported similar issues. I may be being presumptuous here but do any of you use nail polish/varnish..as the main constituent is acetate based which is an excellent conductor of electricity?

There has to be a manufacturing flaw of some sort - doesn't matter what's on your nails - the potential shouldn't be where you can get at it anyway. Anyone who is experiencing a real shock or abnormal static being generated by their Mac should take it in to be looked at.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
There has to be a manufacturing flaw of some sort - doesn't matter what's on your nails - the potential shouldn't be where you can get at it anyway. Anyone who is experiencing a real shock or abnormal static being generated by their Mac should take it in to be looked at.

...but thinking out of the box the human being can generate static electricity which can go the other way. This may not be a Mac issue at all.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
...but thinking out of the box the human being can generate static electricity which can go the other way. This may not be a Mac issue at all.

I don't disagree - and in many of the other threads on this topic - I was fairly well convinced that it was the human bringing the static charge - not the other way around - but there are too many of these kinds of threads - makes me think there must be some that slipped through with a quality issue. Still - just as good practice - and especially in the winter time - I always touch a metal lamp or the corner of the wall to discharge myself before touching my MBP. Last winter I actually shocked it enough to cause it to reboot - that was pretty scary.

Reaction score
Tingly Fingers

I just received a replacement new Macbook 13" white unibody- and it's not a refurbished- it's new. My fingers feel very odd on the machine. first I noticed that my index finger of my right hand was feeling tingly. Then I noticed that my thumb on my other hand was too- both of these are on the trackpad.

I have it plugged into the 3 prong outlet. I looked this up on Google and there are literally pages of "Macbook shock" "Macbook tingle" "Macbook numb" complaints. I am concerned. I don't know what this is or if it's electric or a weird vibration. It feels to me that sort of uncomfortable feeling that happens if you touch a broken plugged in lightbulb. A minor shock- but very annoying.

Hi you are certainly not alone! I have just borrowed a brand new 2012 MacbookPro from a friend to try out and its a disaster. I get tingly fingers in exactly the same way as you. Even when the power is not connected and running on battery. I feel it clearly and I have to stop and rub my fingers. After an hour it becomes so uncomfortable I have to stop. + the sides and front edge are slightly sharp so I find that uncomfortable too.
I love the screen and the operating system. But this aluminium heavy weight will have to go back. My fingers are still uncomfortable up to an hour afterwards.
Never had anything like it before, such a shame.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Shocks when the machine is running on battery? It could be your body is especially sensitive because there is certainly not enough EMF available when power is provided by the battery to induce even the smallest shock in a person.

You probably need to avoid any computer that has a metal case not only the MacBook Pro.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How is a new MBP Heavy?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If he thinks the new MBP is heavy, he needs to lift one of Dell's new Alienware machines. Carrying one of those around will build your biceps. ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.