• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Playing ripped DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL
Hello,

I have ripped one of my DVD's onto my laptop for viewing while travelling.
Anyway I can play the DVD Files using VLC player, but is there a simple way of playing them like a regular DVD only from a folder using the normal mac DVD software. Is there either an add-on or a way of mounting the folder so it appears to be a dvd?

Thanks Heaps.

C

chas_m

Apple's DVD player has been able to play from VIDEO_TS folders for years now. Just drag the VIDEO_TS folder onto DVD Player.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL
Apple's DVD player has been able to play from VIDEO_TS folders for years now. Just drag the VIDEO_TS folder onto DVD Player.

Thanks Heaps! Just what I was hoping for - I'm so glad you pointed this out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.