New user I think I'm happy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
Have a new macbook pro 15 I5. Window user for all my life. So far love the experience. You can just tell this is a very solid laptop.

I need a tutorial for all the key board combinations. Anyone know of a good one? OS X is a different animal than windows.

I down loaded and installed neo office. So I have the two download files on my desktop. How do I get rid of them? When I right click on them there is no delete option.

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Congrats on your new machine!

Keyboard shortcuts

I will "assume" you mean you still have the hard drive icons on the desktop from when you opened the dmg that you downloaded?

You would right click and select eject after you have installed it - or simply drag it to the trash can. Make sure NeoOffice is in your Applications folder first. If it's not, then you haven't installed it.

Then, you can also head for your downloads folder and delete the downloaded files.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats on your new machine!

Keyboard shortcuts

I will "assume" you mean you still have the hard drive icons on the desktop from when you opened the dmg that you downloaded?

You would right click and select eject after you have installed it - or simply drag it to the trash can. Make sure NeoOffice is in your Applications folder first. If it's not, then you haven't installed it.

Then, you can also head for your downloads folder and delete the downloaded files.

Thanks that is it. Lots to learn but I'm very pleased with the macbook and OS X. Can not believe how long this battery last. It is just amazing astounding. I went to buy a new windows laptop. Friday night. I ended up with the macbook pro. It was everything I could do to spend the money. I could of bought 3 windows laptops for what I paid for this. I'm real glad I did. I think when I really get into using this I will be blown away.

C

chas_m

I highly commend you to visit Switch 101 and Mac 101 to help you get comfortable. There's also a web site called "myfirstmac.com" you might find useful, and the best of all is that there is likely to be a Mac User Group with actual live people from your community near where you live. You can use this page to help find them. I enjoy my local MUG a great deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Thanks that is it. Lots to learn but I'm very pleased with the macbook and OS X. Can not believe how long this battery last. It is just amazing astounding. I went to buy a new windows laptop. Friday night. I ended up with the macbook pro. It was everything I could do to spend the money. I could of bought 3 windows laptops for what I paid for this. I'm real glad I did. I think when I really get into using this I will be blown away.

Welcome. :)
You will (hopefully) come to appreciate the subtle, behind-the-scenes parts of OSX that make it so user-friendly. Like you said, once you get the hang of it. It is a different way of doing things and everyone takes a different amount of time to adjust.
Check these helpful Apple Support topics out if you haven't already:
Switch 101
http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

And I noticed your comment on battery life. Take a minute to read Apple's suggestions for optimizing the life of your MBP's battery. Always best to start off on the "right foot". http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/9036.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
I could of bought 3 windows laptops for what I paid for this.

Yeah, but would any of them have been as nice as what you have now?

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, but would any of them have been as nice as what you have now?

No. The more I use the MBP the better I like it. I'm not sorry about the money. You can just tell how well this is built. When I get every thing figured out I'll be a happy camper.

Like what is the same in snow leopard as Control end & Control home page down and page up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
No. The more I use the MBP the better I like it. I'm not sorry about the money. You can just tell how well this is built. When I get every thing figured out I'll be a happy camper.

Like what is the same in snow leopard as Control end & Control home page down and page up?

Control + right arrow is END.
Control + left arrow is HOME.
Space bar is page down (in most apps) OR Control + down arrow
Shift + space bar is page up (in most apps) OR Control + up arrow
Command + down arrow jumps to the very bottom of the page
Command + up arrow jumps to the very top of the page

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Control + right arrow is END.
Control + left arrow is HOME.
Space bar is page down (in most apps) OR Control + down arrow
Shift + space bar is page up (in most apps) OR Control + up arrow
Command + down arrow jumps to the very bottom of the page
Command + up arrow jumps to the very top of the page

Thank you
Very Cool

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
One of my favorite tips is Command + Space. That opens Spotlight search and positions your cursor within it. Start typing the name of an app (use iPhoto for an example) and hit Return. The app pops open. It makes a very nice application launcher.

It's also handy for a few other things... like start entering a math equation and it solves it for you (make sure you use * for multiply and / for divide).

Want a definition? Start typing the word in and instant definition.

Another tip - drag your Applications folder to the right side of the dock (don't put it in the trash, but on the right side of the divider). Click on it and you get a list of applications for easy launching.

I also like hot corners (which you can enable in Exposé/Spaces preferences). My top left shows all open windows. Top-right hides all windows. Bottom-left brings up Dashboard. Bottom-right blanks the screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.