error 13014 help!

Reaction score
I am hoping someone can help me.
My i-tunes application is not opening on my mac book, it's coming up with a notification of error 13014???
I also cannot connect to internet ( I am on a different computer now).
I though it may be linked to limewire but as I am can't connect to the internet I can't start to unistall anything to see if it helps.
Any suggestions are welcomed, I am really stuck.
Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
iTunes 8: 'Could not sync -- unknown error 13014' | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

Limewire could have lead you to many problems, but it is not linked to that error.

As for your internet problems.... we no nothing about what Mac or OS you have, how you are connecting to the internet, how long you have had this problem, etc. !

I don't know why you think that you can't uninstall anything without being connected to the internet.

OP
L
Reaction score
error 13014

Thanks for the reply. The problem started yesterday when i turned on my mac. The error message came up and then it failed to connect. I can't open anything except i photos. I can't even view files on my desktop in preview, or text documents. I am unfamiliar with how to uninstall a file on a mac, i did try but it told me to connect to internet. I am really stuck, what could I try? Any help is appreciated. Straight after the i-tunes error message, limewire comes up automatically with the same message, so that is why I thought it might be connected. I have very limited computer knowledge ( as I am sure you can gather).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You've not answered the questions of how you are connecting to the internet, what Mac you have (year and model), and what version of OS X you have.

OK... lets tackle problem number 1, which is Limewire.
Apart from the fact that it is used for the purpose of pirating, it has been forced to shut down by law.

Go to >system preferences>accounts click on your account on the left and click login items tab.
If Limewire is in there, then highlight it and click the - underneath.

Now, connect to the internet with your ethernet cable to be certain that you get connected.

Next, to get rid of this Limewire, I would use AppCleaner Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - AppCleaner

After this, I would download OnyX for OS X 10.6.x Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - OnyX or 10.5.x OnyX 2.0.6 for Mac free Download and click the automation tab and run it.

Next up, for deleting any application that has an uninstaller such as Microsoft office, use that uninstaller, where as 99% of applications you just need to drag them to the trash.

The reason I want you to use AppCleaner to delete Limewire is that it will find any rubbish that it has left on your Mac and send it to the trash, and then all you have to do is empty the trash.

Personally if I were you, since you are obviously very new to Macs, and I suspect that you have made a bit of a mess of things, I would wipe the HD and reinstall OS X.

So, first up, you'd want to use time machine and back up your computer onto an external HD. This is something that you should be doing regularly.

CLEAN INSTALL:
Boot from your install disc by holding C or option on start up.
Choose language and click next.
Go to utilities in menu bar and click disk utilities.
Select the HD in the left column and click erase tab.
Make sure that it is formatted as mac os extended (journalled) and click erase disk.
this will take a few seconds, then exit utilities, and continue installation.

When you are finished the installation, you will be asked if you want to restore your system from time machine backups.
At this stage I wouldn't do this, as we don't want to bring back any of the trouble that you backed up.

Now, run software updater over and over again until no more updates are available.

What I would next is run OnyX again.

Next, I would drag the contents of the documents, music and photos folders from the time machine backups on your external HD to the corresponding folders on your internal HD.

Last but not least, I would check out the following:
Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/208133-sage-advice-new-mac-switcher.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.