Streaming HD home movies from Macbook VERY slow

Reaction score
Now that I have my home sharing problem fixed, one issue remains. Home movies shot in hd that I have made into 720p files take forever to buffer and play. It can take as much as 15 minutes just for a movie to start playing. Weird thing is, I can fast forward a good bit through the movie, but it won't let me play it in real time. HD movies on youtube start playing almost immediately. I can tell you that one typical home movie is about 20 minutes and is a quicktime about 1.2 gigs in size. Even when there's enough of the white load bar showing that would typically allow a video like this to start playing, it won't. From iMovie I tried both exporting as a large file (instead of hd) and also choosing the encoded setting that makes it specifically for Apple tv use. Both didn't stream or buffer any better. Ideas?

OP
N
Reaction score
I did. Still don't know what the answer is. Are there any router settings I need to be aware of?

Reaction score
I have the same problem but with any iTunes Library content.

My router is an airport. I tried updating it to 7.5.1 but it still is very slow.

Reaction score
No problems here, Network is running on a AirPort Extreme, And My iMac isn't exactly a power house: iMAC 20" with 2 gig PPC Processor. No issues streaming large moves, they play in seconds.

I think the biggest factor is the Speed of the Network, had issues when running my DLink Router. AirPort Extreme (however costly it my be) has solved all my issues

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.