Muddy sound with Express 802.11B/G?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an old Airport Express 802.11B/G connected to a new Extreme 802.11N (SDB).

When I play music through iTunes and Airfoil, the music seems a but metallic and muddy. Will a new Express fix this?

Also, does anyone know the model number of the latest Airport Express (802.11N final - not draft - from October, 2009)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I don't know - I have the last 802.11N (3 Airport Expresses actually) going to various stereo systems. I think it sounds fine. Have you tried the optical out (if that is an option?) I don't know the latest model number - and I am not sure we are off of draft n yet either. Here is the Amazon page with a draft n model number.
Amazon.com: Apple Airport Express: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more

If you look at the Apple site it is still saying draft n as well
Apple - AirPort Express - Tech Specs

OP
C
Reaction score
Isn't optical only a solution if you have a DAC?

Apparently there's both the A1264 with 802.11 n-draft - and the MB321 with n - final.

I've read a lot of forums about this and I think I need to buy the MB321 - also considering that a b/g slows down a dual band network.

I'll get it tomorrow and get back with the result.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Please do report back - a B/G will slow down the N network so that may help your overall network performance. The optical out will go into any optical in receiver. I have one going into a harman kardan receiver, and another one going to a Bose receiver. The third one goes into regular RCA into an old Sony stereo system. All three sound fine.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok. So, I've bought a new 802.11n and tested it with everything from Duck Sauce to AIR and Annie Lennox. Furthermore, with songs in 192kbit to 320kbit.

My verdict is that it sounds better than the 802.11b/g. However, it's not a big improvement.

I especially noticed that it doesn't handle extreme bass like on some of AIR's tunes and Angel by Massive Attack too well.

I guess you just need a D/A converter...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.