Changing UI sound effects

Reaction score
I am recently a new Owner of a 27in Imac which is my first apple PC. I am wanting to change my sound effects on my computer. Is this possible to do on an Imac? For example instead of the sound that happens when you put something in the trash i want to put one of my sounds for it. This is also my first forum post ever I have always just read other post people had questions on. So if I am in the wrong section posting sorry was not sure where to post this question:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to mac forums.
HD>system>library>components>Contents>Resources>SystemSounds>finder>empty trash.aif
This is the trash sound.
I can't help you much further than that, but hopefully someone will come along shortly, but meanwhile, there's your starting point.

Before you tamper with anything in your system folder, be sure to keep up to date backups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
That's pretty much how you do it. Learn how to give yourself permission to do it either in the command line or in the UI. To show the contents of that directory, you will have to navigate to /system/library/ and then right click (or 2 finger tap) components and say "show package contents" - you'll also have to do a get info on that directory (components) and give yourself write access.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also, that directory is incorrect, at least in Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can add or remove or edit sounds in /System/Library/Sounds - the trash sound isn't located here, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I left out coreaudio.component in the above directory, however, in Snow Leopard I have:
HD>system>library>components>coreaudio.components>Contents>Resources>SystemSounds>finder>empty trash.aif without having to right click components to show package contents.
I don't know why that is, as I do recall having to right click last time I checked it out, which may have been when I was using Leopard :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.