Macbook and default mail program

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

Hope someone can help, only had my new Macbook a week so still learning. I started off running the built in mail app. But have decided to run Thunderbird as I find it more comfortable and have used it for many years.
All has gone well with regards installing creating multiple accounts sending and retrieving mail, but I have one question.

Which is if I try and open a saved email in my documents folder for example I get a popup box appear and I have to select Thunderbird from the drop down menu as mail is still listed as the default mail program, so I can not just click open or mail tries to do the job.

I have made Thunderbird my default mail app from within its preferences so why is mail still set to default within the above drop down menu and how can I change this?

Thanks in advance for any pointers as to what I must do.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
In Mail, Open Preferences from the Mail drop Down in the toolbar. Click on the General Tab. Click on the clicker by Default Email Reader. Choose Thunderbird.

See Pic.

Picture 1.jpg

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a screen shot of the Mac mail preferences where I did just what you said sorry I should have said this in my first post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
How about clicking on get info when on the mail in your documents folder, selecting open with, thunderbird, then click change all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
The other option would have been, highlight that mail that you're trying to open in the finder, hit command I, change the default application to open said type of file, and check "apply to all."

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I still find that interesting that setting does not change it as it did for me in Safari when using other browsers. What DR and 6String said should work.

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

Thank you all for the followup, I used DarkestRitual method because it contained the ( command key I )as I must learn these types of short cuts. :)

I to am not sure why my first route did not work but now all saved mail is opened in TB as it defiantly is the default mail program now, thanks again for your very quick help, great forum for us newbies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.