• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

TV Streaming Solutions?

Reaction score
Hello,

Not exactly sure if this post is in the right place, so please move it if it is not. Thanks!

What I am trying to is come up with a solution where instead of streaming current episodes of shows on my computer, somehow I want to be able to do it through my TV when i want. This frees up my computer while watching a show, as I'm not really one to sit there and fully watch certain shows. I like to be doing something productive during them. As well, it is better to view then.

My two ideas are somehow setting up a DVR. Which I do not want to spend a couple hundred on a DVR and I have no extra computer lying around to make into a HTPC or anything like that unfortunately. I don't like doing one through cable, because I hear you can't take the shows off the box, which would be frustrating to me.

I thought about using PlayOn with my Wii, but that is only for Windows I believe... so that may be out unless I put Windows 7 on my computer.

I tried a program called ted which I guess sets up a schedule for your bittorrent to get the episodes you need. Sometimes I am a few episodes behind so instead of hulu I have to go to tvduck or sidereel etc. Overall it is just frustrating, definitely since a lot of the shows are from megavideo.

Basically I own a Wii, Western Digital WDTV (not the live one), and a macbook. I'm guessing I can't really do it with my current hardware, but I thought i'd ask here to see if I am missing anything or am not understanding something right. Cheapest options are what i'm looking for.

Thanks,
Qua Sar

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.