Seeing when e-mail has been read by recipient

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
How do I set up Macmail so that I know when e-mails I have sent have been read?

I can't find an option in Preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You can't really do that. There is no universal read-receipt out there, it's buggy at best and only works between closed-systems like one you may use at work where everyone uses the same email client on the same network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Am I the only one that finds this extremely annoying? I have never actually clicked "OK" to let the person know I have read an email (at work). It is crazy enough being expected to be available at all hours of the day. I don't need people knowing the second I read their message! Nothing against the OP. Just venting!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Again nothing against the OP but I find this kind of thing annoying too, it's bad enough having a setting on your phone to tell you when someone has received your text message, breach into personal space I think (also just venting ;P)

- Simon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I also found it annoying, however, I can understand why employers or supervisors use it. I worked for the US Govt. many years and saw how employees ignored directives and directions. Supervisors want to hold their underlings accountable and receipts are one way of doing that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I also found it annoying, however, I can understand why employers or supervisors use it. I worked for the US Govt. many years and saw how employees ignored directives and directions. Supervisors want to hold their underlings accountable and receipts are one way of doing that.

Understood, but if employees are ignoring their superiors and not getting the job done they should be canned. Period.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Receipted e-mail

You can't really do that. There is no universal read-receipt out there, it's buggy at best and only works between closed-systems like one you may use at work where everyone uses the same email client on the same network.

All I can say is that, when I used Thunderbird on a PC, I checked the box "Use my global receipt preferences for this account."

My wife still uses a PC with Thunderbird and it seems to work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Understood, but if employees are ignoring their superiors and not getting the job done they should be canned. Period.

:) I agree, but if you knew how much trouble and how much paper work is involved to fire someone who is fully vetted in the US Civil Service, you can understand why supervisors try to use other measures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
:) I agree, but if you knew how much trouble and how much paper work is involved to fire someone who is fully vetted in the US Civil Service, you can understand why supervisors try to use other measures.

Good point!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.