Apple unveils next generation G4 iBooks

H

hokiethang

iBook G4

Check out the apple store. They updated it and have iBook G4s now, up to 1Ghz. They also come with Panther pre-installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Pretty as Pie! Time for me to go get me an iBook!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

Apple unveils next generation G4 iBooks
October 22, 2003 - 08:33 EDT* Apple today unveiled a new range of iBooks featuring PowerPC G4 processors, with the 12-inch display model starting at US$1,099 and the 14-inch display model starting at $1,299. The new iBook line offers advanced connectivity with AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth, and all models include 256MB of Double Data Rate (DDR) memory and slot-load Combo drives for burning CDs and watching DVDs. The new iBooks also include Apple's latest operating system, Mac OS X version 10.3 "Panther," pre-installed. The new iBook with a 12-inch display is available immediately, and the new iBook models with a 14-inch display are expected to be available next week through the Apple Store. The 800 MHz PowerPC G4 iBook carries a suggested retail price of $1,099, while the 933MHz PowerPC G4 iBook is $1,299, and the 1.0GHz G4 iBook is $1,499.

My Comments: Wahoo! There you go.. have a couple new iBooks! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Should've waited a month or 2 :( oh well, I still love my iBook!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Emrys said:
Should've waited a month or 2 :( oh well, I still love my iBook!

:( Yeah, seriously. On a related note, I wonder if we'll see reports of QC problems such as the ones that seem to be tied to some of the new PB's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
My G3 iBook rocks, I have no complaints. Would just be cool to have a G4 in there :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Now i have to work on getting my wife a new iBook :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yeah, I still love my G3 iBook. I don't really do anything that requires Altivec so the speed difference would be negligiable for me. And the power/heat use is much better with the G3 anyway ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
when i was looking through the new posts thing i saw unveils next generation G4 and didn't keep reading i was about to get pissed if it was another set of powerbooks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
You sound like you need a massage :) Ease a bit of that tension :) Im not volunteering though :)

OP
G

gxblueknight

Lol my friend just bought and ibook 2 weeks ago he is going to be so mad, he could have had a 14inch for the price he paid for a 12inch......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i should just never read anything about updates until its time to get a new computer and then i will realize how much better things get after time. right nwo time goes to quick and things get updated so often

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The new G4 iBook have slot loading drives like the powerbook line. Is that new to the G4, or has it alway been there before?

OP
G

gxblueknight

The new G4 iBook have slot loading drives like the powerbook line. Is that new to the G4, or has it alway been there before?

That is new to the G4 ibook...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Interesting that a Super Drive is still not even an option on the top-of-the-line 14" model. Hmm...maybe I'll wait for the next "mid-update" and to see if any bugs show up.

OP
A

ayhwan

Sorry to gloat...

Well, I think I am kind of in a very good position right now. I was kind of saving up (I am still a student) for 12inch Powerbook but now it looks like Apple is finally bringing the iBook up to date. If the "keyboard issue" (what made me trade in mi iBook for a HP 2 years ago) is revolved then hopefully I will be having a white X'mas with my white (now part-silver) iBook! :)

I think the slot drive and the silver coating are pretty sweet. I have always thought having the computer all white was a little excessive and impractical, especially on surfaces which is constantly in direct contact with sweaty palms.

Now all I am waiting for are some feedbacks from users before making my mind up between whether to spend my hard earn cash on a PBook or and iBook! :p

PS. Do you guys think G4-800 will be able to handle OSX Panther? Apple made it sound as if its a complete OS altogether!

OP
H

hokiethang

ayhwan said:
Well, I think I am kind of in a very good position right now. I was kind of saving up (I am still a student) for 12inch Powerbook but now it looks like Apple is finally bringing the iBook up to date. If the "keyboard issue" (what made me trade in mi iBook for a HP 2 years ago) is revolved then hopefully I will be having a white X'mas with my white (now part-silver) iBook! :)

I think the slot drive and the silver coating are pretty sweet. I have always thought having the computer all white was a little excessive and impractical, especially on surfaces which is constantly in direct contact with sweaty palms.

Now all I am waiting for are some feedbacks from users before making my mind up between whether to spend my hard earn cash on a PBook or and iBook! :p

PS. Do you guys think G4-800 will be able to handle OSX Panther? Apple made it sound as if its a complete OS altogether!

I have heard that it runs fine on a G4 466, so i imagine it would run fine on the 800. I will give it a shot on my 466 at work when i finally get my copy, as apple still hasnt shipped it :-(.

OP
S

Stanley

Goddammit...

If I knew apple was going to launch G4 iBooks I would have waited before I bought one.

Now I have a G3 iBook that is only two months old...

aahh
too bad
Stanley

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Stanley said:
Goddammit...

If I knew apple was going to launch G4 iBooks I would have waited before I bought one.

Now I have a G3 iBook that is only two months old...

aahh
too bad
Stanley
Emrys and I also have G3 iBooks and I really don't think you'll be too disappointed. I really don't think there will be a noticeable difference at all except maybe in Photoshop, etc. Besides the G3 is much better on power usage and heat so you haven't really lost out on anything :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.