Need help trying to install OS X on older powerbook

Reaction score
I Just got a older PowerBook G4, 12" first model that came out i believe. The dvd drive works but doesnt work. When I boot on the laptop the dvd drive makes sound so it works, but when I try to put a disc in, it doesnt read that im putting a disc in so it wont grab the disc. Im trying to install OS X 10.3, downgrading from 10.5.8 because it runs slow so I just want to do a test. My buddy gave me a .dmg copy of 10.3 to put on the laptop and he said to use disk utility to install it. I also have a 10.5 .dmg as well. Since I cant use the dvd, how can I go about installing through disk utility? Thanks in advance for any help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You're not going to get any install help...since you don't own or didn't purchase your own install disks!

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Its from the real discs. He made me the .dmg files using disk utility on one of his macs. He has all the OS X disc and can install on multiple machines. But he gave them to me on my external hard drive before he left for a business trip. Thats why he couldnt do it and I dont feel like waiting for him to get back. So I figured I would come to a forum site for help. So thanks for being quick to assume im pirating.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Its from the real discs. He made me the .dmg files using disk utility on one of his macs. He has all the OS X disc and can install on multiple machines.

So thanks for being quick to assume im pirating.

What you're doing is pirating!:( At some point in the process...most pirated software comes from "real disks"!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.