Mac to Mac Bluetooth

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to transmit a text document through the bluetooth port, or anything without both parties having to have any extra software?

I'm in college and I think it would be easy to get a day's notes from someone if they had another mac, which just about everyone does.
The reason I would like as few programs as possible is so I can ask someone I don't really know and make it easy for them.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums
Can't you do it with the built-in bluetooth software? System Prefs>Bluetooth set up device?

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Do what Simon says (haha) - Then Select the computer.

Also under the bluetooth -> set show bluetooth status in the menu bar. You will see the icon in the Menu Bar. If you click it you will see a Send File option. You can send the file to any connected device. Note that can be pretty slow on older computers. The newer Macs do have 2.1 + EDR which is 3 Mbits - so that should be OK for most small files.

It may be easier just to hand someone a memory stick. Then you don't have to worry about pairing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.