organising music

Reaction score
Hey there,

I used to be a pc user, but switched.
I love my mac etc...

but I have an issue. I need to be able to copy my music pretty organised. So in a win system, I sorted my music in folders buy genre. (folder with rock songs, folder with dubstep, folder with rap etc...)
However, when I import my music in Itunes in the same structure, I have my playlists like i sorted them out on windows, but when I search for a song (show in finder) in sends me to a folder where all the songs of that artist are in.

Is it possible to adjust the settings, so the songs are mapped by genre?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Open iTunes and go to Preferences by clicking on "iTunes" at the top left. When that opens, click on "Advanced" and uncheck the box that says "Keep iTunes media folder organized".
You can even change the location it saves files to when you import CDs. Feel free to organize your files in Finder just as you did on Windows. It won't sort them by genre but you could tell iTunes to save to your Music folder, then drag them into the correct genre after the CD is finished importing. Create all the folders you want, it's your music. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.