Transferring music - Mac Virgin

Reaction score
I've been a Mac owner for about 3 days now, and my first task is transferring all my itunes and playlists from my old PC to my new Macbook Pro. I have spent hours researching this and trying different things but I have not been able to transfer my music and playlists.

My general process for this is first organizaing and consoliding files on my PC, transferring everything to a 16gb flash drive, and then copying it into the music folder on my new Mac. But the muisc and playlists just never show up.

Any help anyone can provide would be so much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ok, so you actually need to import the tunes into iTunes, not directly into the music folder.
Open iTunes and drag the contents of the flash drive over the iTunes window, and it will automatically create an iTunes library in the music folder.
As for the playlists you have created, as long as they are iTunes playlists, you can copy the xml file onto the flash drive, and then import it into iTunes from the file menu. This will create the same playlists in iTunes as they were on the PC.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks! That at least points me in the right direction. I actually do think I tried this, only when I did what you described only some of my album art came over. I thought I did something wrong and just started over. Is this right?

As far as the playlists go, do I need to export each playlist separately?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Album art is stored separately unless embedded in the files, so that's why you only got a few I suspect.
As for playlists, just the one xml file will contain all of your playlists, so no, just the one file.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry for yet another question. So will I just need to re-upload all of the album covers? Thanks again for the help! I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
If you are on a network you can use home sharing to import your whole library from one computer to the other. Would that work for you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for yet another question. So will I just need to re-upload all of the album covers? Thanks again for the help! I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Well add them to the mp3 files, yes. Annoyingly you now have to go into info for this or highlight every track on the album and drag the cover art into the cover window.

OP
S
Reaction score
If you are on a network you can use home sharing to import your whole library from one computer to the other. Would that work for you?

Thanks for the suggestion! I will try that as well. Will my playlists copy over using that option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the suggestion! I will try that as well. Will my playlists copy over using that option?

No. I just did this for a friend of mine and had to do the xml copy thing for him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Apple iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 4Gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512Mb, 1TB HDD
I recently had a similar experience.. although I wanted to share my iTunes library between users so when I copied my music from my external hard drive - I put it in a shared music folder on the iMac and the pointed both user accounts iTunes settings to this folder and it picked them up in the library no problem!.. there was some issues with album art as well - but I just let iTunes get the album art for me.. has worked perfectly ever since! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.