Software upgarde.

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I've done a search but couldn't find a thread relating to what I'm after.
I have just received a used ibook g4 and have OS X version 10.4.11.
I should also explain this is my first Mac and am finding it difficult navigating and carrying out basic tasks(sorry).
I want to upgrade my software to 10.5 or later so I can use various additions/apps on my computer.
I've been trawling through leopard upgrades on ebay and the only ones I can find with info on request I'm already 10.5 or later etc.
Please how do I upgrade to the best version of leopard available for my machine.
Please be gentle with me as I feel I've made a mistake switching to Mac but am 100% committed to sticking with it for the moment.

Many thanks

Ian.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you haven't already figured it out...it's going to cost you $100-$125 dollars to purchase the proper "Leopard" OS 10.5 install disk (black disk). You DON'T want the "gray" disks...they are model specific.

Also...does your iBook have at least an 867mhz cpu, 512meg of ram, and a DVD drive...if not...it doesn't officially meet the minimum system requirements for 10.5.

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. Are you still 100% committed to upgrading your iBook to 10.5 if it's going to cost $100-$125?;)...which is very possibly more $$$ than the iBook is worth.

OP
I
Reaction score
If you haven't already figured it out...it's going to cost you $100-$125 dollars to purchase the proper "Leopard" OS 10.5 install disk (black disk). You DON'T want the "gray" disks...they are model specific.

Also...does your iBook have at least an 867mhz cpu, 512meg of ram, and a DVD drive...if not...it doesn't officially meet the minimum system requirements for 10.5.

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. Are you still 100% committed to upgrading your iBook to 10.5 if it's going to cost $100-$125?;)...which is very possibly more $$$ than the iBook is worth.

Thanks Nick,
933 MHz,640 RAM,Reads DVD-YES
So my ibook meets the requirements for 10.5 ?,I'd rather persevere & spend £100-£200 before spending out even more for a newer model and finding out I can't get on with it :-0

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks Nick,
933 MHz,640 RAM,Reads DVD-YES
So my ibook meets the requirements for 10.5 ?,I'd rather persevere & spend £100-£200 before spending out even more for a newer model and finding out I can't get on with it :-0

Yes it meets the system requirements for 10.5. Sorry...I didn't realize you were located in the UK. I'm guessing the pricing for 10.5 is a little different...but still expensive.

Yeah...that iBook would be fine for many things (I used to have the same iBook a couple years ago)...but for some things it's on the older side. Since the minimum recommended cpu speed is 867mhz...and your iBook has a 933mhz cpu...10.5 may not run the quickest. But if you NEED 10.5 to run some apps..then you got to have it.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.