I just felt so sad.....

?

)(*

i took my powerbook finnally to get the latch fixed. (the button kept sticking so it wouldnt catch the lid)
i took it to compusa because they are authorized Apple warranty fixer uppers. and they sent it off and are getting it fixed and im just waiting to get it back. all this is free of charge of course.

anyways,

i go in the other day to check if my laptop is back and the stupid compusa tech support people have me waiting forever. in the meantime:

theres this very old looking man. about upper 60's lower 70's it seems. and he walking around the counter and such, and out comes the tech support people with a huge box with a vaio desktop on the side of it.
i cringe
this man, this inocent, harworking american man who has worked his *** off for years and years.

he doesnt seem happy, more of a proud look though. with his american flag hat on and tucked in yellow polo.
his wife, an old looking woman herself is ecstatic, while she holds a large box that says "movie creator. i look at it and it has pictures of DVD cases and labels and such inside.

im thinking to myself: no, this cant be happening. this man deserves so much better. the problems, the spam, the virusses, the warrantys, the endless ammounts of programs that do the same exact thing. NO, DO NOT BUY THIS COMPUTER!!!

i wanted to just go and tell him "put this back, get an imac, and thank me later."

i got watery eyed, seriously, i feel so sorry for the old people of america who get succored into buy crap that just gives them more and more crap.

my own father was once this way, before i showed him a better way, to Think Different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
OP
I

iFX

Don't get me wrong, I think macs are great.. but crying over someone else's computer choice <--- i mean come on now... thats pushing it lol

OP
U

UncSki1218

Haha...nice story. I feel bad for anyone who buys a pc not just old people. That just hits the spot haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Sniff, very touching story! You are a great writer, but don't feel to sad. One day, Apple may overthrough microsoft :) Who knows what will happen.

OP
J

jessica

Well, if it were me and some kid came up and said that I would certainly take their advice while CompUSA was running my credit card on the VIAO. The thing is, at that age you may be very comfortable with Windows and not wish to try something new. Also, you don't know what their needs are and therefore are not a person who should be telling them what to buy prior to finding even that out.

I love your story the way you told it, but in cases like that unless I am asked I simply don't tell.

Reaction score
)(* said:
theres this very old looking man. about upper 60's lower 70's it seems.

I wouldn't assume he is an idiot just because he is older. It is possible that he made a well informed decision. There are lots of people that know of Apples but still choose PCs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
mynameis said:
I wouldn't assume he is an idiot just because he is older. It is possible that he made a well informed decision. There are lots of people that know of Apples but still choose PCs.
Well, he was at CompUSA trying to get help with his PC. I'd say, if you're at the point where you're willing to pay CompUSA prices for service/repairs, you made a mistake somewhere along the line.

Reaction score
technologist said:
Well, he was at CompUSA trying to get help with his PC. I'd say, if you're at the point where you're willing to pay CompUSA prices for service/repairs, you made a mistake somewhere along the line.

)(* was there also...

OP
?

)(*

mynameis said:
)(* was there also...

yea, because i didnt want to drive to cinncinnati to get my powerbook fixed. when i could drive 5 miles down the road to compusa who ship it off to apple and get it back to me free of charge.

OP
F

falltime

mynameis said:

Yeah, like George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Robert Rodriguez, Rob Cohen, and Richard Kelly. Some of the most well respected, innovative and brilliant filmmakers of all time don't "Think Different?"

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2005-04-18-amd-usat_x.htm

Mac's are great, but this whole thread is a little bizarre.

C'mon guys, lets get real.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
falltime said:
Yeah, like George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Robert Rodriguez, Rob Cohen, and Richard Kelly. Some of the most well respected, innovative and brilliant filmmakers of all time don't "Think Different?"

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2005-04-18-amd-usat_x.htm

Mac's are great, but this whole thread is a little bizarre.

C'mon guys, lets get real.
OH MY GOD! Some big-name people don't use Macs! That's it, no more Apple stuff for me. I mean, if George Lucas doesn't use one, I want no part of it.

Talk about your bizarre. What were you trying to say again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mynameis said:
)(* was there also...
But he was there because CompUSA honored his warranty.

Most of the lost souls at CompUSA, Best Buy, etc. end up paying out the nose for any work done by the techs there.

OP
F

falltime

technologist said:
OH MY GOD! Some big-name people don't use Macs! That's it, no more Apple stuff for me. I mean, if George Lucas doesn't use one, I want no part of it.

Talk about your bizarre. What were you trying to say again?

LOL, oh jeese. Why would I want people to stop buying/using Macs? Being very a serious Apple investor, Apple Revenue=My revenue. You really missed the point.

I've NEVER made a single comment about switching to PC from Mac. You made need to reread what I said. I was simply pointing out that if an old man wants to buy a PC, it shouldn't be a problem. If some of the top industry professionals prefer Windows-based PC's to edit $130 million films, I'm sure the old man will be just fine authoring a DVD for his granddaughter’s birthday on a Vaio.

I also get bothered by people taking Apple's slogan "Think Different" and turning it into some kind of grandiose existential doctrine. It's just a corporate slogan! Just because someone prefers a PC to a Mac, doesn't make them a pathetic, thoughtless, no-good miscreant that can't think for theirself. Obviously, the slogan holds very little weight if some of the greatest artistic innovators of our generation are using another platform. It's not exactly a cryptic concept that Apple's idealistic, uncompromising zealots take the slogan much more seriously than Apple itself.

Hence the "Let's get real" comment.

As a little side note, I'm also heavily invested in MSFT. So it would be hard to say I was biased in either direction. I mean, what agents a better industry-perspective equilibrium, than one's household income?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Once again... A thread that was started as a fun little opinion/observation piece is taken way too seriously.... Ugh... I can't believe I wasted my time reading to the end of this page.

I found the piece to be funny.... The content arguable I suppose.... But funny still.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you need to relax. Learn to take a joke, okay? You seem to be taking this too seriously. Every time someone takes a lighthearted jab at Microsoft/Windows/PCs/PC users, you take offense.

People like to take potshots at Microsoft. Not just Mac zealots, plenty of other people do. Google for "microsoft jokes" sometime.

The Microsoft-bashers aren't only raving, foaming at the mouth zealots on this forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.