• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

a simple way to burn a dvd?

E

elocs

I burned my first dvd today on my new Mac Mini.
My 30 minute home movie only took 2 hours to get burned to a dvd. Is there a more simple method of transferring a home movie to burn onto a dvd that needs minimal editing? I could have had this movie all done and burned to a dvd using my set top recorder. All of the editing features are nice if you need them, but it seems like a lot of hoops to jump through. I guess that I am too used to simply pressing the play button on one machine and the record button on another. But I do like that kind of simplicity.

OP
B

badmojo

iDVD 5 has "One Step DVD" in which the software basically guesses at the scenes. I've never actually done it, but I saw it at a demo in my local Apple store. It may not be that flashy, but it gets the job done. The longest part of DVD-making is rendering the movie for DVD playback/burn. This is automatic, of course, but that's what consumes the most time, and there's not much one can do about it.

OP
E

elocs

badmojo said:
iDVD 5 has "One Step DVD" in which the software basically guesses at the scenes. I've never actually done it, but I saw it at a demo in my local Apple store. It may not be that flashy, but it gets the job done. The longest part of DVD-making is rendering the movie for DVD playback/burn. This is automatic, of course, but that's what consumes the most time, and there's not much one can do about it.

Yeah, I watched it render and render and render.
I guess there's nothing for it and unless I need to make considerable editing I'll stick with my Panasonic set top. The finished dvd-r does seem to play in more dvd players than do the ones burned with my Panny. I have a hacked Apex that will not play any dvds burned on the Panny, but will play those done on the mini.

OP
B

badmojo

Have you tried using dvd+r media? By the way, more ram can speed up the rendering quite a bit.

OP
E

elocs

badmojo said:
Have you tried using dvd+r media? By the way, more ram can speed up the rendering quite a bit.

I have 1g of ram and that's the max for the mini.
I have nearly 300 TY dvd-rs for my Panasonic and they work great for it. I don't want to invest in another type of media just for the mini. For simple recording and editing I will stick with my Panny because it is faster and easier to use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.