Trusteer Rapport Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

As a new Mac convert :D I would like to know anyone heres thoughts / experiences of running the recommended online banking protection softwareTrusteer Rapport, as running a Mac now do I really need it? :Confused:

Generally surfing the net for answers I have not found any real positive answers, as with all software there are pros and cons.

I did find one thread here on the forum which only talked about installation issues.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/206449-safari-version.html

Appreciate any feedback as a Mac user now I really do not want to install or run windows based software. ::)

Reaction score
I installed it for my banking web site. I haven't had any visible issues with it at far as I know.
I took the tack that should there be any issues of fraud on my account, then I have done what they have recommended. I haven't checked, but being a cynic, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some get out clause in their small print, that renders them non-liable if you haven't got it installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You don't need it.

Many member ask the question about viruses and malware on the Mac and in addition to using the search function at the top of the forum, you'll find almost all your answers here:

Official Antivirus and Firewall FAQ

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi neilf,

Thanks for this positive post and good to here there are no conflicts, while on my EX Windows PCs I always used it, but as schweb said (You don't need it.) I did read through the thread you linked to last week. And I have been reading about the Mac products X OS regarding Windows viruses and Malware for the past two or three weeks, and the fact that the Mac OS like Linux does not recognise what a Windows virus is, was part of the reasons I have now fully gone over to Mac.

It is just that when it comes to internet banking Im still a little bit twitchy regarding security. I know at the end of the day it comes down to the users choice, but it is always good to make an informed decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4 GHz 2gig RAM 320gig HD
You don't need it.

Many member ask the question about viruses and malware on the Mac and in addition to using the search function at the top of the forum, you'll find almost all your answers here:

Official Antivirus and Firewall FAQ

Not a case of whether you need it but more a case of if you decline the offer then something happens with your accounts, scam etc. I take the view that it's wiser not to give the banks any get out of jail free card. It's hard enough to get them to honour their obligations as it is. I have it on my Mac and it doesn't cause me any issues but it does provide me with a small crumb of comfort.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are no trojans for the Mac. This software doesn't do anything other than take up space and resources.

Again I point you to our FAQ.

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

Thanks to all for your answers I will hold of installing for the present

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4 GHz 2gig RAM 320gig HD
Hi,

Thanks to all for your answers I will hold of installing for the present

Well I note one of your locations as being UK. Now I shouldn't need to remind you just how slippery UK banks can be at trying to get out of their obligations. For the tiny amount of space and resources it uses I would install it, even if you don't actually need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you work for the company JP? ;)

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

I know this is an oldish thread, but as an update decided to instal TR because of online banking and as has been mentioned the banks get out of jail free card if not installed.

Has been running for 48 Hours and no noticeable changes in any respect on the Mac and browsing.:)

C

chas_m

After the way the banks (particularly UK and US banks) have acted over the last few years, I'm still scratching my head wondering why anyone would voluntarily deal with them when Credit Unions exist.

IMHO, keeping your money in a bank is giving tacit approval to their actions.

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have to say I tend to agree generally with your words especially as they are again paying out extremely large bonuses.

But the way I see this TR software is that although my private details are held and transmitted from the Mac securely, I suspect that most banking institutions still use Windows OS`s so there is no guarantee what happens to my information when it gets into there system, therefor I feel I am protecting myself to some extent from any incidents that may originate at there end.:\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.