Printing issues via a USB Hub

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am trying to help a friend of mine setup wireless printing from her Macbook. Unfortunately I don’t know very much about Macs and OSX but I am a quick learner ;)

The setup:

Virgin Media Cable Modem -> connected (RJ45) to a Wireless Linksys Cable Modem -> connected (RJ45) to a Belkin USB Hub.
From the USB hub I have two printers connected:
1 x HP Deskjet
1 x Samsung ML-2240 Laserjet

Both these printers install to the Macbook perfectly as default USB devices (wirelessly) via the USB Hub. They also appear correctly in the Belkin USB Hub software console.
The HP printer works perfectly every time it is used, no issues whatsoever. The Samsung printer prints ok the first time but the print jobs do not disappear from the print queue on the Macbook, the print job doesn’t appear to complete even though it has actually printed without any issue.

The problem this causes is that after the first print job has been printed it is not possible to print again. Even if I delete the print job from the queue manually I cannot still not print a second time. The only way I can get the printer to print again is to unplug and then plug back in the USB cable that is connected to the USB Hub. When I unplug the cable the print job disappears from the queue on the Macbook. I can then reconnect the USB cable and connect to the printer and it will print again.

I have made sure that I have the latest firmware on the Macbook which is running 10.5.* OSX. I have also installed the latest Firmware and Drivers on the Samsung Printer and the USB Hub.

Is there a different way to setup the print queue that you think may help? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I spent 5 hours on this yesterday and it still isn’t working :(

Thanks
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Is the hub a powered one? If not this could be the issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ok. Out of interest have you tired a new cable, just in case, and have you tried a different port on the USB hub?
Also, you could try re-installing the driver for the printer.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks again,

I don't think it is the cable as if I connect the printer directly to the Macbook it seems to work ok, I have loaded and reloaded the drivers for both the printer and the hub a couple of times, I have also tried another USB port.

If I wanted to completely remove the Samsung driver from the Macbook and then reload them, can you tell me how I do that?

It seems that there is a specific issue with the Macbook connecting to the Samsung via the Belkin HUB but the HP Deskjet works fine and the Samsung prints ok, for the first print at least, but just doesn't seem to "complete" which locks up the print queue.

I'm assuming that the Macbook isn't getting the "signal" back from the Samsung to say the print job is complete?

Cheers
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again,

I don't think it is the cable as if I connect the printer directly to the Macbook it seems to work ok, I have loaded and reloaded the drivers for both the printer and the hub a couple of times, I have also tried another USB port.

If I wanted to completely remove the Samsung driver from the Macbook and then reload them, can you tell me how I do that?

It seems that there is a specific issue with the Macbook connecting to the Samsung via the Belkin HUB but the HP Deskjet works fine and the Samsung prints ok, for the first print at least, but just doesn't seem to "complete" which locks up the print queue.

I'm assuming that the Macbook isn't getting the "signal" back from the Samsung to say the print job is complete?

Cheers
M

Hi. Yes it does seem the signal is getting lost somewhere.
To trash the driver completely drag it to the trash and empty it, but I would suggest getting Appzapper first, which will make sure you get rid of all the associated files too.
Then ensure you get the most up to date driver for the Samsung (I'm sure you have) and try again.
I will say that some printers just do not work with Leopard/Snow Leopard, but you are having some success, so I don't see that being the issue.

http://www.appzapper.com/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.