Extending an Airport Network

Reaction score
Has anyone got any experience of extending Airport Networks?

I have a latest model (simultaneous dual band) time capsule and it doesn't give me coverage throughout the house.

Was planning to try extending it with another Airport product.

If I use a latest model Airport Express will that extend both g and n networks?

If not, what happens?

Paul

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If I use a latest model Airport Express will that extend both g and n networks?

If not, what happens?

You rip a tear in the time-space continuum...the whole universe implodes...and then an extended Airport network is not so important!;)

Sorry I can't be of more help,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The latest airport expresses can handle either g or n but on top of that they can do either 5GHz or 2.4GHz. (The 5GHz is N only) I tried setting up a 5GHz N only network with Airport Expresses and a Simultaneous Dual band Time Capsule. I found the 5GHz range too limited to be useful. So I setup the Airport Expresses to extend the 2.4GHz band. It does well but you need good enough signal to your Express so it can extend. If you put the Express where it is already bad signal then the Express will keep dropping connection. Therefore you'd have to chain multiple Expresses together if you have a large enough Compound/Abode.

So the Express will extend B/G/N 2.4GHz or N 5GHz but not simultaneously.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for that Ivan, that's cleared up my misunderstanding as I assumed N was only available on the 5G band.

So to summarise - the Express will do N and G simultaneously on 2,4 GHz so I can extend my TC network and have both N and G clients connected.

I'll be plugging the Express into an ethernet port so I assume it'll be smart and re-broadcast what it gets from the ethernet port rather than what it receives over wifi.

Pigoo3 - I'll let you know if/when the universe implodes....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
So to summarise - the Express will do N and G simultaneously on 2,4 GHz so I can extend my TC network and have both N and G clients connected.

In theory yes, but remember that the Express is only a single antenna meaning that if any G devices latch onto the signal from the Express, it will slow the Express down to G speeds and it won't send data at N speeds just like most normal routers behave.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.