Format email

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6 3GB
I'm trying to embed formated text into the body of an email.

For example, Indented paragraphs that are justified with titles centered above
the paragraphs.

The help menu states that to retain formating you copy the text and then paste using edit/paste. It doesn't work, it doesn't retain the formating.

I'm emailing windows users. I've emailed to my own pc and my wife and a friend. The email they receive loses all formating with the text spread across the window on their computer losing returns and justifaction and centering.

I've pasted the text from Pages, text edit, and from a Pages document exported as a windows document and all with the same result.

right now I think it can't be done

thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

C

chas_m

1. Make sure you are set up to send "rich text" messages.

2. If that doesn't work, make a PDF of the text and attach that instead.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6 3GB
Thanks for the reply but,

I,m set for rich text already and I tried a PDF but it doesn't imbed the text it attaches the the file as a Tiff.

I need the text in the body of the email itself.

I'm thinking that this can't be done on a Mac. Very frustrating indeed.

Steve

C

chas_m

Something else is going on then.

A PDF attached to an email should be ... you know, a PDF. That you're magically turning it into a TIFF indicates that something else is going on.

PDFs are guaranteed perfect formatting, cross-platform, shown inline (single page PDFs anyway), selectable text, everything you are looking for. If you need some help making a PDF please let us know.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6 3GB
Thanks again,

I re-tried the PDF by copying the text from the PDF into the body of the email.

Creating the PDF seems straight forward. File-export-choose PDF-name the file-export, done.

When pasted in the body of the email it loses centering, justification and paragraph indents.

I can reconstruct everything except the justification in mail. It will suffice for my purposes but it seems to be a very tedious and not a totally correct work around.

Am I still doing something wrong?

Steve

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're not doing anything wrong, it's just that Mail is not designed to accept pasted formatted text and retain the formatting. The reason is kind of obvious - when sending documents or any other formatted text, it's usually sent as an attachment. That's the accepted standard.

Is there some reason your correspondents can not accept an attachment rather than embedded text?

Reaction score
email formating

We have a similar problem. Emails formatted beautifully are received correctly by Mac users bit PC users receive a scrambled message. It is professionally embarrassing.
Please Help

Reaction score
email formatting

I hate to send an attachment instead of embedded email because it is one more step that diverts people from reading, Why does mail offer formatting if it is not received correctly?
Thanks for your help
Angela

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.