System Preferences shows no pref panes

T

tachyon

Hello

Recently I was in a situation using 10.1.5 where the System Preferences showed no panes.

After trying all the steps on Apple's knowledgebase, it was suggested that I create a new user...
Except with no Preference Panes how can one do that? Is there a UNIX command in the terminal, or does one need to use Netinfo Manager?

--tachyon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Here is a script from OSXFAQ.COM that will allow you to add users via the terminal. I guess it's not possible otherwise for security reasons.

Adduser Script from OSXFAQ.COM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
you can if you restart in single user mode, but the same can be done in the terminal command line.. ive never heard of all the panes disappearing

OP
G

gatorparrots

The script from OS X FAQ is buggy and incomplete. This one is much better:
macfora.com/forums/showthread.p...=&threadid=8858 (dead link removed)

But really, you need a solution to your problem of no visible preference panes, rather than using the command line to create a new user. Try deleting this file and see if it cures your problem:
"/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Have you tried to press "open apple + L"? that will show all catagories, or you will run into a whole list of the system panes.

Theres also another trick you could try...

Macintosh HD/System/Library/PreferencePanes copy them into users/usernames/library/PreferencePanes you may need to create that last folder, make sure its exact to the one in system. Then log-out and back in.. or restart. (restart is always my fav option)

if that doesn't work.. you'll have to either reinstal OSX or try that root UNIX dealie.

OP
T

tachyon

By the way, the person that had this problem ended up fixing it by getting the upgrade to OS X 10.2, so I never got to try out any of those suggestions. But thanks for the help, they were more sensible than Apple's own suggestions.

After looking at some of those scripts I see why there is no Unix command that I was looking for. All those permissions to be set up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
:) stick around. We've got alot to offer.

OP
A

AstralZenith

Originally posted by tachyon@Feb 20 2003, 05:49 PM
Hello

Recently I was in a situation using 10.1.5 where the System Preferences showed no panes.

--tachyon
well i would say upgrade to 10.2... :D but somehow i dont think thats what you want :(

EDIT: i didnt read 2 posts above, and now i cant delete this thing

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.